View Single Post
Old 20-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentQueen
Researchers who study the science of happiness say that once we get what we desire, our satisfaction wanes. In other words, it is the desire itself-- the anticipation -- the dangling carrot -- that is sweeter than acquiring and possessing the object of desire.

Spiritual gurus say that it is desire that causes suffering. Stop desiring and you end the cycle of suffering.

I say that desire is what makes the universe go round. It is the very engery that created form out of the formless. Desire is not what causes suffering. One can appreciate desire for desire's sake, recognizing that it is the anticipation, the longing, and perhaps most of all the HOPE, that we may someday hold on to that dangling carrot, that makes us happy and not the carrot itself.
To answer your question: I do believe TFs are all about the romance. But perhaps, just maybe, these are relationships that are always supposed to be just out of reach, and never come to fruition as a day-to-day, under-one-roof sort of relationship.

And perhaps it is the energy of desire that is the mission itself?

Just theorizing.

I'm onto this a bit late. Excellent point, but I would take it a step further. Desire itself is born of the mind, its expectations and illusions create the carrot. I would say that the reason that happiness regresses once the goal has been met is to do more with the reality not meeting the expectation.
I would argue that it even goes beyond that. That it is our attachment to expectations that causes suffering. If we could just allow the mind it's space to build up it's scenarios and not get sucked into identification with it, we may then have a crack at enjoying the fruits of our labour.