View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by pre-dawn
If we make "the effect" a curiosity which only occurs under certain conditions we lose the meaning and the potential behind it. This potential is the realization that while we make choices every day we are not limited in our choices.
We can be anything we want to be, subject to physical and biological constraints. A male may be as kind and mothering to a child as any good mother is, a female may be as ferociously aggressive and competitive as some men are.
There is a tribe on one of the Polynesian islands where this actually happens and mother's are reported to be so aggressive that they sometimes kill their own children. (If necessary I can dig up the reference)

Our behavior is learned, we can unlearn and relearn, and in the process become anything we want to be. That is the message I see in the reported phenomena.

I didn’t “make” the effect a curiosity. I was merely OBSERVING this uncommon phenomena which has also been observed in several organ transplant cases.
Gender played no part in my observation – it was the man’s considerably altered behaviour I was observing.
Yes, we have the ability to make choices, but even choices are not limitless – an individual’s circumstances and environment will determine what choices they can make .... but I digress ... or maybe not ....
This man’s choices/drastic change in lifestyle COINCIDED with his brain injury, so there is a strong possibility his the brain injury (and maybe??? a NDE) had something to do with his new choices. He certainly didn't just wake up one day and decide he would now do the house-cleaning, cooking and cross-stitching in his spare time - this isn't the message here.