View Single Post
Old 30-11-2011, 02:38 PM
vulkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritualized
Thank you Vulkus - Yes, I agree. There are far far better ways that I could have been treated. I've researched all this subject in great depth.

I take a relatively low dose of one drug - a neuroleptic - & I hate taking it. The problem is how to withdraw successfully; given my circumstances?

I've been on this drug 13 years - & stopped it 3 times. The first time I stopped taking it I was sectioned under the mental health act & put back on it (forced to take it). The second & third time I stopped; I tried a 3 month tapered reduction; then the last time a 2 year tapered reduction - it is some of the worst psychosis I've ever experienced. No sleep at all for well over 2 weeks; severe black outs (without alcohol or street drug use) - very severe delusions.

How do you suggest that I stop taking it & still function? I live alone; have done for over 10 years; I've been single over 13 years. I have some friends, & am close with family - But my mother is elderly, & my brother isn't supportive of another withdrawal. Largely I spend most of my time alone.

What do you suggest? I live in the UK - there is no help from psychiatric services/the mental health system - they would also be in very strong disagreement to a withdrawal - Just what am I meant to do? I've tried every approach available that is within my means & resources to do so.

I think that I have to accept medication for life - sad as that is.
I do understand what you are going through, as many here do. I was during my time medicated with Zyprexa which is Olanzapine. It did not matter what dosage I took it either did nothing or exaserbated the hallucinations.
Thankfully I had a good Dr, who was more interested in my health and well being than in my hip pocket. Under his suggestion I stopped my meds and began to self manage.
Like yourself I have a whole host of issues, however mine are all classafiable and manageable.
When I was first diagnosed I wasn't satisfied with the answer I was given.
The consulting psych told me at the time, that I had only come there to gain access to drugs, because mine was a text book case. Considering I had told him I had no interest in medication. There are bad psych's out there, but also a lot of good ones.
I was given tools to find out what my triggers were. For me I function normally just like everyone else, however I have certain triggers that set me off. I know what they are and most of them are induced by stress.

I know you want to get off your meds, but for you at this time it may not be possible and when it is done it needs to be under supervision. Like others have said, do not beat yourself up over the fact that you are addicted to smoking. You yourself know you will give it up when you no longer require it for coping.
I am not saying that you should just give up, for me I wasn't satisfied with my diagnosis. So I set about discovering why I was this way, what causes it and were my hallucinations really hallucinations.

In another time I may have been considered a shaman, or someone in contact with the spirits. This thought spurred my research in to myself even further. I read many books spoke with many people, and came to the final conclusion that Schizophrenia, depression, bi polar are all just labels. They are just ways of explaining something that isn't fully understood.
This then drove me towards the occult, I have studied both on my own and under tutelage of a few very talented and knowledgable people. In that vein I have studied many areas of the occult and esoterica.
These studies have helped me deal with things. As well as opening me up to a world of self discovery.

The biggesst suggestion I could make for you in your situation at this time, would be to try and change your social situation. I understand that it is hard, I know from personal experience. My family is either in total disbelief or they believe their situation must some how be far more dire than my own.
There is research to suggest that by 40 most sufferers of schiz have recovered, it isn't known why though. I am one such person, I am currently studying a diploma in Mental Health in order to help others.
I would suggest you seek out other people in your own situation, self help groups and the like. If you have not already. You have come along way in your own recovery and you have a lot of information and lived experience that could help others in your situation. This is why I have engaged in various forms of study. By helping others I help and heal myself.

One of the ways for help available in Australia is based on Lived Experience. That is where the person who identifies as having mental health issues, is the one who decides what will be the best way to help them.

Are there any schiz or mental health organisations in the UK that offer support?
This one is from NSW in Australia. http://www.sfnsw.org.au/ Schiz fellowship

http://www.schizophreniaresearch.org.au/

Interesting fact sheet. http://tinyurl.com/bq8psnn