View Single Post
Old 11-05-2024, 06:23 AM
Guide

My family was ok when I was growing up. I was provided for but did not receive a lot of love. I always brushed off my family dysfunction until I became an adult and spent most of 2023 caring for my dad who has dementia. That situation brought the family dysfunction to light and I've since decided to estrange myself from both my intermediate family and my mother's side.

I've been struggling for eight months. My mom kicked me out three weeks before my PhD defence after my dog died last October due to conflict over my dad's health. I had no money and was unemployed. I had to request a zoom defence and tell my committee what happened. Thank gosh I passed and it went well.

At first I stayed with a friend and then went to stay with my mom's sister (my aunt) and she was worse than my mom. I left and stayed with friends while trying to find my way. Luckily, I got a really good government job but had to wait four months to start the position. I'm now 1.5 months in and have found a nice roommate who let me and my cats move in. I'm slowly chipping away at my debts. My job is really rewarding. But I was only able to make it due to the love and generosity of my friends. So many of my friends helped me out financially, emotionally, and in any way they could.

I haven't spoke to my family since mid-February, when I called my mom in a moment of weakness. My mom told me how horrible I am and I decided to cut all contact. Two weeks ago my mom contacted my best friend asking where I am and if I'm working. My friend said she was not going to give any information and my mom told her that I'm having a mental breakdown.

I just went on a work trip to the Great Bear Rainforest. I got to go hiking and search for ancient pictographs on cliff walls. I'm travelling to remote areas of my country for work that are incredibly beautiful. I have a lot of sadness inside of me but I am building myself back up.

I'm single and my two cats are my closest companions. My friends are also my family. I'm new to this whole family estrangement thing, but I will be ok. I had Easter dinner with a childhood best friend and her family. I feel alone a lot of the time but I know there are people who love and support me.