View Single Post
Old 31-03-2024, 08:10 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podshell
Which translation to follow?

Personally I prefer Swami Mukundananda's and Swami Tapasyananda's versions. I'm not wild about the dumbed-down versions done by western writers, though I have a number of them (which is why I'm not wild about them). I categorically dislike Prabhupada's, for the most part. He uses phrases that are simply not in the Sanskrit ... 10.21 "I am the Soupersoul ..." for aham ātmā. While it's true ātmā has no direct translation into English, it certainly doesn't mean soupersoul.

He created the phrase Supreme Personality of Godhead and uses it where the Sanskrit is śrī bhagavān uvāca, which simply means "The Blessed Lord said". Śrī is an honorific that means honored, revered, even blessed. But there is no way one can justify torturing śrī bhagavān uvāca into "The Supreme Personality of Godhead said". Oddly, I know why he uses it. It goes to how he teaches the nature and relationship of Krishna in the divine order. His purports, as far as I'm concerned, are completely off the rails.