View Single Post
Old 02-03-2024, 06:21 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryoldman
or even mindfulness itself?

Ask somebody to define what mindfulness is and you will probably get a lot of different answers. Same with meditation. Then even if a few agree on definitions, what they are actually doing when they think they are being mindful or meditating can be very different. It's because all of us are individuals and unique. Our experiences are different and our understanding of ourselves and others. I would guess some of the best at practicing "mindfulness" have never heard of it and have never named it. It is just who and what they are.

I think "mindfulness" is a horrible name for it according to how it is defined. . Mind-full-ness.... Full of mind? That's not a good thing is it? Maybe name it Mind-empty-ness! I'm not sure how it would work as a practice as if one came to understand they could not have their attention on their mind or thoughts anytime they want, they would do it pretty much all day long. It would not be a practice, it would be how they were always.

Buddha was believed by some to be "enlightened" which could be defined as "always mindful." Buddha refused to speculate on things that were not present in the now. When asked if he was a God or man? Buddha said, "I'm awake." He could not answer as both God and man are concepts. He did not let his attention go into the conceptual. I'm saying this about the imagined mythological Buddha because I never met him and have no way to know how or what he really was. We tend to put ancient persons that become spiritual cultural icons up on a pedestal but they could have been exactly like us. Normal humans trying to become better.