View Single Post
Old 25-02-2024, 05:50 PM
Master
Hi ReturningMoon. I would say "no, what you do for a living is not who you are." I don't work and for the longest time I felt lost and as though my identity was lacking. This was especially true when people I met asked "What do you do for a living." That got me every time and I started talking about when I was previously working. But asking someone what they do, is just a means to label a person.

When I stopped working, I felt like I had come home to my soul's purpose and that was to be a better mother to my son, write an autobiography, poetry, non-fiction stories, draw, paint, photography, make jewelry and play the piano. All activities that enriched my life immensely and define what I do, more so than who I am. Even so, when people started asking me what I do I began replying that I am a published writer, painter and photographer. Sure, I received some rolling of the eyes, but for the most part people were intrigued and wanted to know more.

I have a sister-in-law that has worked in the corporate world for 40 years. One day she called me a suzy homemaker. I was a bit insulted by the insensitive comment until a later conversation we had years later. She told me she was afraid to stop working because she had no hobbies or interests outside of work and that she envied me.

What sort of things resonate with your soul?