View Single Post
Old 16-02-2023, 12:08 AM
Ascender

Hello Busby and all.

Hope you're well.

Re passage in opening post which you refer to.

My attempts to convert ponderings to descriptive and sufficiently comprehensive text needs more work! --and that is just one obstacle of my own making on my stumbling path.

What I hoped to convey was/is the thought that if such "evolution" as described is possible by our species then the need for that evolution is self willed by the accumulation of the past and present destructive behaviour of our collective selves.

And also-if it happens--if such an evolutionary change is possible, then that also will be instigated by the self will of our collective selves.

Kind of our mistake self willed and/or tolerated to the point of exhausting possible remedial choices except so called "Hobson's choice" on the one hand , and also, on the other hand the possibility of a solution also instigated by self will and --possibly--becoming an evolutionary change.

The introduction of conscious self will into the evolutionary mechanism---if it has any possible place or role to play there--would seem to be the addition of a causal component not present in my understanding of that mechanism as currently described. My ponderings however are more extensive than my knowledge--so I may very well be mistaken.

"Hobson's choice" incidentally still allows for the exercising of free will, it's just that the consequence of choosing one of the choices is terminal--which doesn't seem a sensible or logical choice to make-- but it does seem from evidence up till now that burying one's head in the sand has the effect of becoming blind to that reality.

Cheers.