View Single Post
Old 26-05-2021, 06:03 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbiO
1) Yes, the Jewish perspective is interesting and more complex than you seem to be aware.
2) You talk about "this prohibition", but you have not specified which prohibitions you are referencing - spoken or written.
3) There are seven names of G-d, of which the tetragrammaton is one, the sanctity of those is such that prohibitions apply. Elohim is another one.
Thanks for your reply, excited to hear from an actual Rabbi. I am just a layperson and I know relatively little about Judaism, so I always enjoy the opportunity to learn more about it. I am more of a Mesopotamian Polytheist myself, but there is some connecting tissue between the two traditions, not least in terms of some ancient myths that are common to both traditions (such as the Flood, Garden of Eden, Creation of Man, etc...)

Regarding the prohibition to say God's name out loud, I wasn't aware that it applied to all 7 names, that is good to know. If I read that correctly, it would also apply in writing, not just in speech, am I right?