View Single Post
Old 14-02-2019, 05:22 PM
Newbie ;)

Thanks EthicalVampire.

Appreciate the informative reply. I did not know that French functioned so differently. I am aware that the Chinese language, as a written language, has not added any new words in the past couple millennia (anyone please correct me if I'm wrong), however they create new meaning and ideas by compounding the pre-existing words. We see a similar thing happen in English with new 'things' being coined under older Latin or Greek pretexts being conjoined into new compounds.

It's interesting how each language is so unique in all of its aspects. Even between English and French, which are proto-indo-european cousins. Albeit these differences appear to be more politically rooted as they are the result of an appointed committee, and it only takes a small oligarchy to dictate that.

It's my belief that language as a whole (spoken and written), when left to be free, will develop in a very similar way. Not in terms of the specifics, as they will differ culturally, and like you said, dependent upon the collective-psyche.. but to factor out these cultural and collective-psyche differences that embody each language, but it seems reasonable to state that the aspects that remain seem to express quite universally. Perhaps belonging to human nature.