View Single Post
Old 27-11-2018, 03:43 AM
Knower

Correct, it seems that way.
It's just a definition we've created for the process of dying. We used to think it was black and white and irreversible. I think the more we develop medicine, the more reversible it will become. Already we have some freak occurrences of people surviving over 14 hours after all cessation of bodily functions.
The medical community uses that as its definition because that is the point of no return for 99.9999% of people without major medical intervention of some kind. If we are to believe NDEs, and one day confirm concretely that the consciousness continues its experience outside the body, I think that would provide a stronger argument for that being the definition and the event of death, since even the consciousness/spirit agrees as it departs. It is only that we've gotten really, really good at restoring vital functions after that point of death. We don't continue vital functions. We bring them back.

Even the researchers who coined the term later regretted having named it so, for they realized it represents at the very least the belief on the part of the consciousness in having reached a point of no return, thus potentially serving as a field of research for what happens afrter.

This is why I usually prefer the term discarnate, and incarnate, as it gets quicker to the heart of the matter (for those who believe in discarnate consciousness, at least): Is the consciousness in or out of the body?

Medically there is no way to tell there is even a spirit at all. So we haven't quite proven that. We have the beginnings of evidence in vericial accounts of OBE during an NDE, which is good enough to get started on. For all we know, empirically, that is the point of death, and one day we may become great at "freezing" and restoring life to those who have departed. We don't know.
It's not unlike killing the motor of a car, and deciding to go through an expensive process to install new parts, restore old ones and fix it once again. The car died. It's dead. It may not even be financially beneficial to restore it. Technically anything is likely to be restore-able as we progress technologically. Our attachments with the car, and bodies/people is such that we could choose to do anything, and often do anything we can when the matter revolves around people, to try and bring them back to an alive state.

Mystically, I guess we could go by the belief that there is no death. No one dies. It's just an illusion. I've no idea whether that is really the case. I wish it to be, and I hope it is.