View Single Post
Old 17-03-2018, 10:59 AM
Master
I must say having to wait 2 years is ridiculous. Totally outdated. I don't think we have a cooling off period at all. When my husband and I wanted to divorce, we went to a lawyer to get things sorted. No cooling-off period whatsoever. And that's good, after all you're adults, not kids that need to be taking by the government's hand. If memory serves, they even came up with a law or method to speed up the entire divorce process (the finalizing of it).

As for the question: depends on whether or not he is over his ex. So you really have to pay attention to detail. If he still seems stuck on her, still loves her, is still hurting over losing her... better not get involved.
The problem is, it will still be a risk as men on the rebound may seem ready even when they're not. So it's a huge risk.
There may not be set times to recover after breaking up, but as a general rule of thumb you can stick to 1 year. And if someone came out of a really long relationship or one that affected them deeply, it will be even longer. Hence the 1 year minimum. I think after long term or one that affected you greatly 2 years is more realistic for someone to be really ready for new love again. 1 year is a bare minimum, the timeframe where someone is only just beginning to be emotionally free from the ex and the hopes and dreams they lost, but then you haven't really found your feet just yet.
7 months is short. I'd be very careful. You are at risk of being his rebound woman. Thing is that when you are in love, you aren't going to let go of him. That's what women are like. We always think "Nah, it's different with me! He really loves me! Our love is strong enough to handle this."
But at some point I think 99% of these women end up heartbroken because the man dumped her. Rebound.
Rebound relationships can last quite some time btw. As long as he doesn't meet someone he truly loves and wants to commit to. He'll enjoy the company, intimacy, sex, and friendship. But he won't commit, not even if he does call you his girlfriend at some point. Men can and often will do this, sometimes for 10 years on end. Move in together even, but still not commit. Then he meets someone he truly falls for and off he goes, leaving you devastated.

Would I do this? I have this general rule that a man must've been single for at least a year. Because of what I explained above. It takes ppl minimum of 1 year to recover.
I broke that rule twice, got burnt twice. Badly too. I won't break my own rule again.

But dating a man who's still married? Nope. If a man truly wants to divorce, he can file for divorce any time he wants (in my country). If he has filed for divorce but it hasn't finalized yet, different. In my case it also took a year and a half before I got the letter saying I was officially divorced. But I prefer to only get involved with someone who's single and free and ready.