View Single Post
Old 14-02-2018, 12:30 AM
Ascender

The following is a suggestion. To see what is called "the ego" as being a fall-back mechanism used by the mind in an attempt to provide a sense of significance as an affirmation of being, and being obliged to do so by use of self comparing measure,---more than, greater than, etc.
I think the mind needs affirmation of being for complete and proper function-mental, physical and emotional. Such affirmation will ideally result from the appropriate nurture and wise unconditional loving acceptance from carers during formative years.
The desire for such acceptance is strong, and if it is felt that it is not received, or for some reason not able to be received, then the mind seeks to compensate I think, but can only do so from within itself by the means roughly described in the opening paragraph.
The energy required to do this is constant and considerable, and also very likely generates a perspective of existence at odds with that which might otherwise be experienced.
There is no question I think of the use of this fall-back mechanism being right or wrong. Doing so is simply a consequence,--a consequence which does however lead to further consequence/s.
If it is felt that such consequence/s are detrimental to either or both the individual and society at large the way to alter such consequence/s involves understanding the root causes rather than judgemental prohibition, and then providing that necessary affirmation by means of consent and wise and mutual support so that the fall back mechanism becomes redundant, discarded.

petex