View Single Post
Old 30-12-2017, 10:08 AM
Eelco

Well this thread has taken a slight detour it seems.
It has become rather philosophical despite the wish for it not to..

So I am still interested in how exactly the Sattipatanna Sutta is practiced by you guys.
If we take it a paragraph at the time and reach the end of the middle length discourse we can take the final paragraphs from the Long discourse..

A translation and commentary I am rather fon of is the following.
Analayo-Satipatthana-The-Direct-Path-to-Realization-pdf

As for abiding in dhammas.
In Jospeph Goldstien's rather large treaty (found here)

He talks about the 4 foundations of mindfullness as abiding in them. Like laying/ being in a pasture. You abide within one of them mindfully, Diligent, Clearly knowing and free from desire and discontent.

So you abide in the pasture of the body, mindfully, Diligent, Clearly knowing and free from desire and discontent.
Or abide in the feelings/vedanna, mindfully, Diligent, Clearly knowing and free from desire and discontent.
Or abide in Citta/mind, mindfully, Diligent, Clearly knowing and free from desire and discontent.
Or abide in dhammas/mindstates, mindfully, Diligent, Clearly knowing and free from desire and discontent.

In my experience what the Satipatthana points to is to penetrate the samatha states and see reality as it really is.
So wherever you find yourself. You can only be inside/abide in one of 4 pastures.
In those pastures you can realize all there is to realize in order to be free from suffering

In terms of practice.
Usually my practice consists of 30 minutes walking meditation followed by 30 minutes of sitting.
I try to make a mental note of my direct experience at least every second or so.
While walking I tend to stay in the realm of body. noting the movements as they happen. If my mind drifts I note the drifting if I can catch it or the dhamma where it ended up in.
When I leave the pasture of the body I usually make a note of the vedana I experience there.

When sitting I am inclined to not at a slower pace. The rise and fall of my belly is usually slower than once per second. Other than that I try to note all 4 abidings as they happen.

Sometimes I try to take the satipatthana as a layout. Where I take a more active stance in pointing my attention through the body, to feelings, to mind, to dhamma's.
Although helpful at times that feels rather forced so I do this only on occasion. I think it's triggered by doubt. But am not sure yet.

With Love
Eelco