View Single Post
Old 07-08-2017, 11:47 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
It the rigours and formalities of the practice we usually take refuge in the Buddha and the Dhamma (and the sangha), and its a way of declaring that one will trust in the enlightened ones and take heed in what they say, so we're like, 'this bloke knows what he's talking about', and we generally accept that there must be something to it, but the teachers explain that if it doesn't make sense you, then don't accept it - just put it aside and leave it there and maybe sometime later on it will make sense. Thus we don't accept on authority, but we would usually consider our own gaps in understanding, rather than say the teaching is wrong.

After the person has taken refuge and taken the preliminary ethical precepts like don't steal, kill and lie etc, they undertake their meditation (which they call "samma samadhi" - right meditation/concentration/observation). The dhamma teaching is given orally in evening discourses in line with the stage of that day's meditation, so people will understand the teaching according the insights commonly realised at that meditation stage. But for example, on a night they teach about rebirth and include reincartnation - well maybe what they say is true and maybe it isn't, maybe one day I'll find out, and maybe I won't. Tonight I take what meaning I realise - and leave the rest aside. It's not delivered as it being true in a right vs. wrong way - it's layered with nuances

If you go to see a teacher privately and start discussing if its true or not, they won't waste time - they'll just ask you about your meditation practice, and help you to improve in making it 'right'.

So, we just trust and have faith, and we either have the insight that enables understanding teaching or we don't, but either way it's the same - we return to our meditation.

That was informative, you gave me a first hand glimpse into that world and I can see now how it would all work together beautifully..

Its interesting when you said about the daily meditation and the discourse all coming together as it might or not. It reminds me of our mediation group gathering last night. Someone who is very well versed in something, began to describe to me on the way home someone new in the group their way of processing and realizing things. He is very articulate and relates the knowledge and often its hard for me to find associations just through that means alone. Of course last night I told him, I can see now first hand through that three hours of interactions and mediation how it all fits into what your saying. So it worked a treat in this way, for me at least..

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder