View Single Post
Old 16-07-2017, 01:10 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight
I get this.
I do like to express myself here but do not want to offend anyone or be misunderstood. I am not saying that Christianity is bad, indeed, I still refer to the bible, it shows wisdom and knowledge But it seems to me that lots of comments I am reading here are content to not question what has been written in black and white. I have watched the you tube video on "Davidsuns" site. Its very interesting. Take a look.
I am open to listen to peoples views and respect all of them but it seems my own views are looked upon as if I should not be asking questions or questioning what I feel does not make sense.
My stories not that interesting really. I have been from church to church over the years trying to get answers. I have asked everyone to clarify things from fellow congregation, to the Vicar / Pastor / Father etc and have been met with smiles and comments such as "Just trust in God"..."Its not meant like that"..."Its meant differently".....I decided to stop going to church and to study further myself the bible and other beliefs and what I have found is a lot of wonderful things from many areas. I take the negative things on board too (so before anyone says I only want to hear the good, I will clarify this, as I believe the negative often has positivity if read correctly, ) My only problem is with blatant contradictions.
I respect all beliefs, just because I do not believe in something or choose to question does not mean I am condemned. If people are happy not to question then that is their prerogative and I respect that.

Okay, so it sounds like your path was a process over the time rather than any big single moment of revelation.

For the record, I think the "You only want to hear the good things" - line is a standard Christian blanket accusation towards people who question things. I don't even take that particular accusation very seriously, as it is clear to me that nobody takes it all seriously, the practicing Christians just are usually not aware of this themselves. There are a lot of mindgames how people justify their own habits of ignoring parts of the Bible while claiming to hold it as the final authority.

As you can probably already tell, this Bible-thing is my pet peeve with Christian culture...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight
Your views do make a lot of sense to me. There are lots of people like us.
Some people may call it A lost soul etc..I laugh at this as I think im a pretty "Clued up" soul (as we say in England).
I don't claim to have all the answers, but I am happy.

I think our beliefs are similar to everything else in life, they're not meant to stay completely static, but evolve over time, and change with our inner progress. Growth and change are the signs of everything healthy in life, so I think our spirituality and beliefs should be open for change too. I don't see my path of growing out of Christian beliefs as a failure, or a loss, but rather as a natural, healthy progress. It wasn't all fun and easy though, far from it.

Actually most, almost all, ex-Christians I've met are nowadays atheists, with them I share the same past, but not the same present or the same direction. As I haven't known very many people who have evolved from Christianity to some other form of religion/spirituality, I can't really tell from experience if are there many people who are like me out there. It sounds like you've met plenty of them?