View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 06:55 PM
Suspended
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amilius777
I believe there is one Eternal Truth, The Dharma (as called by the Buddhists), The Law (by the Jews), the Christ (by the Christians). It is all one.

Agree.

I believe that how things are taught is very important though, if penetrated through to spirit, then there is much commonality and shared Truth.

At surface, there are many differences. For mainstream Christianity, much of it now errs on the side of belief based teachings - this doesn't necessarily move people so much to learn and penetrate the spirit of teachings. And this is why, in my opinion, so many "devout Christians" in America don't seem to live the spirit of charity, support and assistance.

At the end of the day, there are not two Truths, and many spiritual or religious adepts use different words to teach of the same.

However, given where religions are today, I would also recommend caution about thinking or believing that going to a Church can necessarily produce the same effect as a Buddhist monastery - because mainstream Christianity has so strongly moved towards teachings of belief (and not necessarily of spirit realization) and are happy to coddle people within belief and in many cases fear based thinking.

I have a lot of respect for the teachings of Jesus and others in his wake, such as Meister Eckhart, Catherine of Siena, St Francis of Assisi. It is much more accurate I would say to follow and realize the truths for oneself, regardless if it is Buddhism or Christianity and only then can one say they are the same. Until then, it is still weak tea.

I also trust and respect Thich Nhat Hanh's practice and realizations.

shiningstars