Thread: the Watchers
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 06:23 AM
rip_ding_dong_football

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westleigh
Well, angels (or at least the beings I would use the term to describe) have never been incarnate or capable of physically producing offspring with humans, and nor are they capable of any emotion but unconditional love. In addition, there is no concept of punishment in the spirit world. I do not think the beings you speak about would ever be considered angels in the "angels and guides" sense as they would have to be physical rather than spirit beings.

Having said that, "angel" is a fuzzy term that different people use to mean different things. If there is a basis for the biblical tales and the account you describe they may very well be talking about some physical beings of the past. There is a school of thought which believes the beings spoken about in the bible - and indeed in other ancient texts which predate it - are extraterrestrial in origin, which I find to be a theory which sounds viable. You can imagine that if ancient humanity saw advanced technology they would conclude that it was magical or divine, and it is also reasonable to assume that "mingling" with another species would be frowned upon by authorities.

It is very easy for situations like these to become confused when the terminology and context is unclear. I honestly don't think that we are capable of understanding the events described in the old testament or the earlier sources it derived from because we are simply so far removed from the events and the state of mind of the people at that time.

i'm sorry but i have to disagree. personal experience suggests otherwise.