View Single Post
Old 18-12-2016, 09:25 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei
I know a beings conscious reflects it's form and function. like, a daffodil has no use for pain, because it can't run away or defend itself. I know it probably experiences existence as being 'higher in energy' when it's got the sun beaming on it, and the right water in it's root - and that it becomes less conscious as it misses out on them.

It has no need for sentience beyond the point of reacting as a complex chemical process, but that's humans too. Suffering is something that could loosely be defined as when something's natural state that's kind of guided toward by it's structure is inhibited. But that kind of degrades genuine suffering that sentient creatures and people feel.

if something has no function for making a decision, it doesn't experience a 'wish for decision making'. everything exists in a state that is it's own physical nature. consciousness as we understand it is the activity of our danger awareness systems input being compared with their input half a second ago, and so on.

i dunno it is hard to say what has sentience and what doesn't. I know that dogs eyes are 'clearer' than humans eyes when I look into them, they seem overall more 'aware'. But that may just be me.