View Single Post
Old 06-09-2016, 01:44 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Islander peoples are generally impoverished by Western standards so they buy basics like soap, sugar, rice and cheap meat with high fat content. People of New Guinea who mostly do live off the land don't have the same health problems as you describe, but it is increasing.

If you actually go live in newguinea you will see how it is, but as it stands you have no idea. I've had the good fortune to travel the region between highlander subsistence farmers to island fishing villages, so I'm pretty well in the know of the cultures and lifestyles of peoples in that area.

I don't think you understand the bid picture of diet, culture and poverty, b s I say, there are sound ethical reasons for a vegan diet. It's just that most people, particularly those in remote regions, can't afford diets based on Western incomes.

You were in New Guinea as a boy as I understand it, which was what over 40 years ago? The world has moved on since then. In any case, if you lived there, you'll know, the diet of the inhabitants of Papua New Guinea is traditionally largely vegetarian. Yams, taro and sago forming the bulk of the diet.

Per capita income is a fraction of that of Australia, true, but most of the people in the Pacific Region do live on a Western junk food diet. That's why they're suffering from chronic levels of obesity and diabetes.
Of the countries with the highest levels of obesity. The top 5 are all in the Pacific Islands! They certainly aren't starving.

On the broader picture, the world CANNOT sustain the Livestock Industry, even at the present level.
It's destroying animals by the billion, causing untold suffering and harm; it's destroying the planet and it's tarnishing the Spirit of all those engaged in it, directly or indirectly.

In the future, people will be vegan or eating insects & test-tube meat. That will be the choice.

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com