Thread: It's Holistic
View Single Post
Old 19-07-2016, 03:11 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
Gem - You talking about the horticulture work reminded me why I came in the house and nearly collapsed with exhaustion, with hands and back pain from yard work. It surprised me because I ellipitical 50 minutes 4 days a week and weight train 3 days a week. I also do over 100 different types of sit ups and legs lifts every day. I thought I was in good conditioning, but every time I do that darn yard work - whoa I'm sore for days.

The thing driving myself to keep exercising is probably somewhat vanity. I don't want to get obese like my sedentary parents, just because another birthday has gone by. I used to be a gymnast way back in high school and after that got into running and step aerobics. I read a great quote about exercising: "If you think exercising isn't doing anything for you, just stop and see what happens." I love that quote. It's what motivates me to keep moving. Plus I think the older one gets the more important it is to keep ones heart strong through some form of cardio and bones strong to prevent osteoporosis through some form of strength training.

I would like to get into martial arts though I no longer like working out outside of my home with others and would have to take a class, I think. Either that or get a video I can try at home. I've grown more reclusive through the years.

There's something about dirt that requires a that special kind of fitness which farmers and landscapers have. It's more like moving the body according to what has to be done, as opposed to doing repetitions. There is something about gardening which has an affect in the mind. I remember when I first started out in nurseries I started thinking more visually - about root systems growing etc... and it was a happier way of thinking than I used to.

I have been feeling better since I started training, I mean psychologically. Studying at uni is so goddam depressing, and I dropped down to one subject so I'd have more time and less dreary reading and deadlines that rush me into substandard writing. It's not just a body thing, but after going through the pain of a workout, it just feels better to be alive. Going through the pain of reading and writing essays doesn't have that kind of glowing after effect. On the contrary, it makes me feel half dead.

Tomorrow I have to learn all these weight exercises for back and shoulders. The deadlift and the overhead press look like they'll take a bit of practice. It'll be a good focused session and it's something to look forward to for tomorrow.