View Single Post
Old 27-05-2016, 09:37 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfadaie
haha sorry that post did lacked some content and my reasoning behind what I am doing. Honestly though, I find it hard to put those reasons into words. At this time, I am about to turn 23, am not tied down to any particular location and thought it would be a perfect time to investigate where this experience might take me. I will be staying at my apartment for the first few months, then family for another one or two before heading to a campsite in California from September to April. All baring on the fact that progress can be made and it is still the right decision for me.

Earlier this year, I became curious about meditation and decided to dive right into it. I spent around four hours a day for a little over a month and was able to reach the first Jhana, understand quite a few aspects of my life, and experience after images that would arise in my vision immediately taking me to Jhana or Access Concentration. I believe that more time and tad more isolation is necessary to adequately explore all avenues.

I ask this question because I have read quite extensively the literature, videos, and articles on the progression of meditation. The most crucial factor that seems to be expressed in each book is developing your ability to concentrate. With this - all else follows. But, I have not spoken to a teacher that has experience and can shed light on how to develop as others have, nor would I know where to find one.

Hopefully, this fills in some of the missing gaps. Thank you!

Maybe something like a Vipassana retreat might set you up with the equanimity required for some serious meditation.