View Single Post
Old 20-04-2016, 10:20 AM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsearching
The Picture isn't mine its from Octavia Butler's book, I just posted it as a example . She and other Black women writers are inspiring to me because they write fantasy and science fiction stories a genera that not too many black writers often dwell in. I want to be a writer and illustrator someday but I'm rusty with creative writing and I'm not good at knowing where commas and punctuation's go in sentences . Lately I started back drawing in my sketch book but my anatomy sucks and I don't think my characters are near perfect. I know being negative won't help at all but I feel I'm not a good writer and drawer so I don't finish my work. I have other goals that I would like to accomplish like studying my Drivers ed booklet so I can finally pass the written portion of the test, so I can move on to the physical getting behind the wheel of the car test. I have to believe in myself that I can do this and stop holding myself back.

It's as much practice as anything. Grammatical things like commas and stuff can be learned by careful observation of others' writings aside from a grammar book but there's nothing wrong with a colloquial style. Punctuate as you go! They do say that new writers have a tendency to overuse commas anyway.

I'm intrigued having never read a black SF writer. There are plenty of artists in the Caribbean at least. I don't have a lot of time to read but I'd give a black SF writer a go. There has been some literature coming out of Haiti recently.

Same with drawing, really. If you have the artist in you its great you just need practice. Even for a non-artist practice can get you first class. I'm told a book that's been pretty useful to some is Betty Edwards Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. If you can borrow copy to see whether it would be helpful?

All the bst with it. Affirmations, yes! Persevere.