View Single Post
Old 23-07-2015, 06:42 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal68
I think we are all searching but is it fruitless??

What if it all really has just come about by accident/fortune and there is no meaning or reason for it? That we really are just biological robots with this illusion that we are something more. We're here for 60 to 90 years (if we're lucky) and then gone for good? That it is almost a cruel joke that we are here at all in the first place. And of course there are no higher beings, spirit guides etc

I find it hard to believe there is no design (not sure about the designer) and that it's all happened by chance but the likes of Dawkins seem to argue their case persuasively. I haven't read his books, I suspect I would find it too depressing.

My gut feeling is we are all desperately searching for meanings and seeing faces in clouds etc when there is nothing there.

I can totally relate to the way you are/were feeling when you wrote this, and even after a lifetime of spiritual seeking, still vacillate between KNOWING that Spirit/God/Oneness is real and thinking exactly what you wrote - that none of that is real, that there is no God/Great Spirit, that none of this means anything, and we are just bags of flesh, here for a brief moment and then gone - no meaning, no purpose, just that. And as someone who has suffered from depression myself, I can say that it does add to that belief that "nothing matters, it's all **."

If I may, I would like to recommend a book that speaks to a new paradigm of thinking about the true nature of reality and posits that consciousness is primary, not matter, and that matter arises from it - not the other way around.

http://www.amazon.com/Biocentrism-Co.../dp/1935251740

This is something I can grab on to when I am in doubt, because as much as Dawkins and the other atheists and materialists like to think they can explain away everything via science, materialism and chaos theory, there is still not a fully complete definition and understanding of consciousness - where it really comes from, the nature of it, whether it has local or non-local properties. And if they try to say they have it figured out completely, they are lying, because many of the world's greatest neuroscientists and others are still working to figure out the enigma of consciousness.

Oh, and something else to look into to help re-kindle your wonder and belief in "strange" and extraordinary things - look into some stuff on quantum physics - entanglement, the dual slit experiment, non-locality, etc. Things happen at that level that break all the rules of current Newtonian science and open up a space where "impossible" things can - and do! - happen.

One last recommendation - have you seen the movie "What the Bleep Do We Know..?!" It's a great introduction to all of this - biocentrism, quantum physics, the primacy of consciousness - and gave me a lot of hope and spiritual "boost" when I was in depression and doubt and really needed it. It might just be a little "medicine" for your soul - if you watch with an open mind : )

Hang in there friend, and if all else fails, remember (or find out about) Pascal's Wager - if you believe in God and live you life as such, and there really isn't one, what will you have lost at the end of your life? What might you have gained? But if you live your life as if there is no God and truly believe that there isn't one, only to find out in the end that there really is a God and that belief was false, what would you have lost out on...? Something to ponder...

Many Blessings...

Qkev