View Single Post
Old 20-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxheatherxx
But when youre projecting beyond where you are, it does seem that youre caught up in conceptual thinking. At the end of my conceptual thinking is that without 'I' or the recognition of language, the human state cannot be maintained.

I agree that without the conceptual 'I' the human state cannot be maintained. The way the world is right now, we would probably die without it. Thats exactly why I said that our functioning depends currently on the belief that 'I exist'. We all have that belief to at least some tiny degree, otherwise we wouldnt be able to function. We need that smidgen of self-awareness in order to cross the street without getting hit by cars. The whole world is set up on the foundation of self-awareness and the belief that 'I exist'. If we were to transcend that belief the world would change beyond comprehension. We wouldnt even really be human anymore. There would be stuff like teleportation and telepathy and instant manifestation. Real sci-fi stuff basically.

Just to respond to the edit. You may consciously play with meanings, but when it comes down to brass tacks, i.e in a grocery store you ask the person at the counter how much something is, you are not playing with meaning then, you are conveying meaning more directly. This requires at least some degree of belief that 'I exist'. That you are talking to me here is also illustrative of the belief.