View Single Post
Old 26-01-2006, 11:35 PM
Poppies

Hi Jaded Melody!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedmelody
I dont have to concentration to fully catch up on this thread yet but I wanted to think on one thing:
Well... if this is you not having the concentration to fully catch up on this thread..... I'm impressed!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_Man
Now, the question: Within the Judeo/Christian framework, how similar is the matrix to heaven, The Architect to being a god-like figure, and the agents to being angels?

Is it okay to start off with:

I reckon that the Architect is in effect, the Creator God;
he created the matrix - which is in effect 'heaven';
the agents are the 'servants of God and of the matrix - they are in effect 'angels'.

I respectfully disagree. I do not see the Matrix as "Heaven".

I had quite a discussion on this with Space_Man on a previous Matrix thread... I can see exactly where you're coming from, but maybe this quote from the Brian Takle essay on Reloaded: The Rave Scene will help clarify things a bit.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takle
The feet on the ground means that Zion is on Earth. Plain and simple. This parallels the Architect scene, and gets to the main thesis. We are cast out of the "perfection" of Heaven and living in the Real World. Symbolically, the Matrix is Heaven. Cypher makes this point in the first movie. The Real World is hard, dirty, and uncomfortable. The Matrix is, well, paradise. This point is made again in the first movie by Agent Smith, who calls the Matrix "the perfect human world" [paraphrased]. Recall that the Architect scene happens in utterly clean, utterly white perfection [4].

The Biblical reference is clear enough. Neo, Trinity, Morpheus, and the rest of Zion have rejected God's Garden of Eden where all their needs are taken care of in favor of a hard, scrabbling existence where at least they have free will.