View Single Post
Old 17-09-2014, 09:46 PM
DrCannonfist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thDimension
I would agree that everyone can be hypnotised if they agree to it. You don't have to be 'suggestible' and for certain you have already experienced the hypnotised state thousands of times in the course of everyday living - most particularly when falling asleep and waking up. Racing car drivers usually enter the state as it can be associated with heightened performance when everything else is excluded.

The illusion of needing to be suggestible comes from stage hypnosis where the hypnotist uses various methods to choose people from the audience who wish to basically make fools of themselves! The state of hypnosis is quite natural and beneficial and, generally speaking under normal circumstances, nobody can be forced to do something against their nature. I used to be a professional clinical hypnotist...

I should also point out that you are fully aware and remember everything unless you are instructed not to!

This is excellent advice. I would add that where some people seem un-hypnotisable, they actually have a subconcious aversion to the idea of hypnotism -- often because they associate it with Svengali-like stage magic. If the experience is re-framed as 'meditation' or 'guided pathworking' or something similar, that resistance often seems to simply fade away.

Of course, these people wouldn't know they had been 'hypnotised' because they often have a completely fictitious idea of what hypnosis is. But ironically, the aversion TO hypnosis is a form of hypnosis itself!

It's true that a person won't do things they wouldn't normally do -- the whole 'cluck like a chicken every time I say kitchen' thing usually relies on the subject having a flair for performance that stage performers can count on due to the fact that they took part in the first place -- but a skillful manipulator can probably take people out of their usual behaviour by constructing the right motivations in trance state.