View Single Post
Old 09-06-2014, 07:07 PM
Badger1777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindapsy Chick
Thank you for the advice Badger1777 although in terms of "bailing out," how come when I moved I had such a bad reaction and didn't seem to come back properly? I had to mentally suggest coming back. Am I different or just a newbie?

From the moment you choose to bail out, to the moment you are 100% back, can be several seconds or even minutes.

I'm trying to think of a hypothetical physical world equivalent to explain what I mean, but I'm not great at analogies so bear with me :)

Imagine you're in a car or something, and everything is going pear shaped. No matter how hard you try, you are just not managing to get things under control. You're quite shaken up by now, and you decide there is no alternative but to open the door, jump out onto the grass verge that is passing at high speed, and roll. Just like in the movies I guess.

From the moment you decide to jump, to the moment you are able to stand up and move about normally, its going to be a few seconds. You're going to be quite disoriented. Even when you've stopped rolling, your best bet is to just lay still for a minute or so and let your mind readjust to the newly changed situation. If, at the moment you bail, you immediately try to behave normally, the moment of the situation is going to make you tumble quite brutally.

Sorry, I know that was a rubbish analogy. I did say I'm no good at analogies, but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say.

Forgive me for second guessing you, but I think what might have happened in your case is that once you chose to initiate the bail out, you expected to come back instantly, and perhaps panicked a bit when you realised you were still in it, which would have caused even further confusion and disorientation as your brain rapidly tries to make sense of too much input at once. If you panic on the way back, your mind has to try to reconcile signals from your flesh that say you're in one state, with the knowledge/experience of being in a completely different situation.

Right, another analogy. Think back to a highly adrenaline charge experience you might have had recently in the physical world. Perhaps being on a roller coaster or something, and think about your feelings as you perceived that experience first hand. Now think about the most boring thing you've done recently and how you felt then, and what you experienced. One at a time, it is easy to comprehend and process those things. Now try to imagine that both at the same time, you are experiencing both. Not flipping between the two, but actually living both at the same moment. Your mind its pulling itself to pieces trying to reconcile the two. You are physically experiencing rapid motion, while at the same time you are physically experiencing being still. You are experiencing a sense of immediate danger but at the same time you are experiencing a sense of security and safety to the point of boredom. you're in two places at once, having two experiences at once, but you only have one mind to process it all and that mind has learned over the course of your life so far that that is utterly impossible, and yet every fibre of your being is telling you that even though its not possible, it is happening. That's going to make you feel physically dizzy, often nauseous, and banging headaches and physical and mental exhaustion are also not uncommon.

After some practice, and it does take practice, you'll learn that when you bail out, it doesn't have to be dramatic and scary. It is a procedure. Ok, another analogy. You're driving your car along, and a bike pulls out of the junction right into your path. You immediately jump on the brake pedal. The first time you do an emergency stop for real, it is terrifying. Your entire weight is embedding the brake pedal into the carpet, yet the car is still moving, still heading towards collision. It probably only takes a couple of seconds or so to come to a complete stop but it feels like much longer. After its happened a few times, you learn that it is just a methodical procedure. You apply the brake, the car begins to slow. In the meantime you accept that it takes a few seconds, and that you must continue to focus on maintaining control until you come to a stop. When you stop, as per procedure, if the obstacle is still there, you apply the hand brake, switch off the engine, maybe switch on the hazard lights etc. I.e. methodical procedure. Same when bailing out of an astral projection. You initiate the bail out, accept that it will take a few moments, and ride it out/maintain control until you're out of there. Back to the emergency stop scenario. Once you've stopped and are ok to go again, you can't simply drive on. Another vehicle might be coming up behind and just about to pass you, so if you pull out immediately, you might crash. So you give it a moment, reassess the situation, wait til your mind has fully got to grips with the new circumstances, before you move on. Same when coming out of astral projection. You're out, you don't just move on, you wait, doing nothing, until your mind has adjusted to the new situation.