Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Vegetarian & Vegan (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Vegetarians vs. Vegans (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=77618)

Titanoboa 20-11-2014 06:21 PM

Vegetarians vs. Vegans

I figure being a Vegetarian is the first step on becoming Vegan. But can someone make a list on what Vegetarians eat and Vegans? I know for certain that Vegans take it a step further, and avoid dairy product. Is it possible for a Non-Vegetarian become Vegan?

Tobi 20-11-2014 11:01 PM

Of course it is possible for someone to go straight from eating meat to being vegan!
But the main thing to bear in mind is you must make sure you are getting all the right nutrients/vitamins/minerals/oils proteins etc in the proper daily amounts, so do some research first.

Yes, vegetarians will eat foods which contain eggs and dairy. Vegans avoid all animal products.

Titanoboa 20-11-2014 11:40 PM

Sounds like a difficult challenge to transition yourself from eating meat into Vegan. Thanks for your input! :)

knightofalbion 20-11-2014 11:49 PM

Nothing worth doing is ever easy.

knightofalbion 20-11-2014 11:58 PM

I always like to think that today's vegetarian is tomorrow's vegan.

There are no nutrients in meat that 'you' cannot get in free range eggs and dairy. And the protein in free range eggs and dairy is superior to red meat.
So that part is not particularly challenging.

To go all the way to veganism is perfectly doable. A growing number of people are doing just that. (Some famous vegans include Bill Clinton, Mike Tyson, Chaka Khan, Patrik Baboumian ...)
As Tobi said you just need - as with any diet - to ascertain that you're eating a balanced diet, covering all bases in terms of protein and nutrients.

Titanoboa 21-11-2014 12:00 AM

If only there was a contrary for what you've stated. :P

Titanoboa 21-11-2014 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knightofalbion
I always like to think that today's vegetarian is tomorrow's vegan.

There are no nutrients in meat that 'you' cannot get in free range eggs and dairy. And the protein in free range eggs and dairy is superior to red meat.
So that part is not particularly challenging.

To go all the way to veganism is perfectly doable. A growing number of people are doing just that. (Some famous vegans include Bill Clinton, Mike Tyson, Chaka Khan, Patrik Baboumian ...)
As Tobi said you just need - as with any diet - to ascertain that you're eating a balanced diet, covering all bases in terms of protein and nutrients.

Yes, there is always alternatives when it comes to protein and nutrients without eating any animal products. Thanks for your input! :)

Tobi 21-11-2014 11:12 PM

What might be fascinating, Orris Root, is when you have the time, go and take a look in the chiller/refrigerator section of a Health Food store. There will be things there to make your mouth water.Of course they are not exactly the same as meat but are made to taste meaty, are jolly nice! and are a good stepping-stone for meat-eaters to try vegan foods for the first time.
(You will find vegan frankfurters, burgers, sausages, 'crispy bacon' type things, schnitzels, dairy-free cheeses, pies, pasties.....etc etc)

Titanoboa 22-11-2014 02:14 AM

Great idea! I'll give it a look, when I go grocery shopping. Thanks! :)

Everly 30-11-2014 03:02 AM

I went vegan overnight more than 20 years ago. It's easy. What prompted me was John Robbins's book, Diet for a New America. It changed my life. He walked away from the Baskin-Robbins fortune to live a life of peace.

The definition of vegan has been distorted. Here's the real story...

Vegetarian - Refrains from meat (all flesh), but may consume eggs and dairy. This may be for health, environmental or ethical reasons. If it's a health issue, the person may also wear leather, wool, silk, etc., and use products that have animal ingredients or have been tested on nonhuman animals.

Ovo-lacto vegetarian - Does not eat flesh (of any kind) and does consume eggs and dairy. This may be for any of the 3 reasons noted above.

Strict vegetarian - Does not eat any animal flesh and no dairy or eggs. This may also be for any of the 3 reasons above.

Vegan - Veganism is a lifestyle, not just a diet. Vegans do not eat or wear any animal or animal-derived food or products. They do not use products that have been tested on animals. They do not patronize places that use animals for entertainment. Unfortunately, because "vegan" is trendy, many people who are strict vegetarians call themselves vegan and they're not.

Liars - Those who say they're vegetarian but they eat chicken (or fish, etc.). That's ridiculous! It's like saying you're a Christian because you only worship satan one day a week. If you eat animals (any animals!), you are notnotnot a vegetarian.

Note: "Flesh" means the flesh (muscle or skin) of any nonhuman animal, including birds, water-dwellers, etc. Fish are part of the animal kingdom, as are birds.

I highly recommend experimenting with various faux meats. Some are good, some are disgusting. I think it's easier if you stop eating meat (of all kinds) for a few weeks, then try the fake meats.