Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Welcome (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Less sceptical these days! (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=148677)

Ambefc 20-04-2024 06:58 AM

Less sceptical these days!

Hi all.
45 Yr old male from the UK here.
I've suffered anxiety and depression for other 10 years now. I've had cbt numerous times and have been on antidepressants for years.
All of this led to me becoming interested in Buddhism and considering alternative therapies etc.
I did have a session of reiki which was an odd experience!
I still remain a little sceptical about somethings but am open to any advice these days.
I've joined this to read up about different lifestyles etc. I'm learning that being open minded is a better way to live!

GracesLovers 20-04-2024 08:10 AM

Hello and welcome. <3

Miss Hepburn 20-04-2024 12:16 PM

cbt?........

Native spirit 20-04-2024 07:06 PM

Cognitive Behaviour Therapy

Ambefc Welcome To Spiritual Forums

Namaste

Still_Waters 20-04-2024 10:27 PM

EXCERPT POST 1:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambefc
I've had cbt numerous times and have been on antidepressants for years.
All of this led to me becoming interested in Buddhism and considering alternative therapies etc.

First of all, I want to welcome you to this forum.

Your references to CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) and Buddhism brought back fond memories of a time when my comments on those subjects triggered a lot of discussion at a continuing education seminar on CBT for mental health professionals.

Using CBT terminology, I mentioned how students as young as 7-8 years old were guided into self-therapy by the monks at the mountain monastery of the Grand Zen Master in Gjungju, South Korea. The kids would identify (A) an activating event that had a problematic (C) Emotional Consequence at which point they would go into meditation to discover the (B) Underlying Belief that was triggering the situation. To ensure objectivity, the kids would consult with their assigned monk at times as a sounding board but the kids would do virtually all of the work themselves.

The assembled mental health professionals conceded that this was very possible especially since I had actually seen it in person with numerous kids who were at the monastery during the Korean New Year school break. The mental health professionals speaker added, however, that the western mind seems more inclined to having a therapist whereas the easterners say that western-psychology/therapy (My niece was a psychology major who taught ESL in Seoul.) is for "crazy people". :biggrin: Different strokes for different folks. Each must choose what is best for them personally.

You seem to be drawn to CBT and to Buddhism for a reason. In many ways, CBT is based on Buddhist mindfulness practices. If you continue to find it helpful, keep doing it.

Best wishes to you.

dream jo 26-04-2024 08:44 PM

hi,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,