Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Spirituality (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Being single as a spiritual person (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=141845)

spiritualmountain 27-10-2021 10:11 AM

Being single as a spiritual person

Hi Members,

Would like to hear your opinions.
Do you think it's necessary to be single (not in a relationship) in order to live a spiritual life and advance spiritually?
Will being in a relationship slow down the progress of one's spiritual life?
I have noticed that many Akashic record readers, spiritual healers etc. are single.
Which is why it made me have this doubt.

Thank you.

green1 27-10-2021 10:59 AM

Personally, I wouldn’t have time for a relationship. I am 7x24 on spiritual developpement. I enjoy it very much! No time and desire for women. I prefer being with my Guide (God, Higher Self).

bobjob 27-10-2021 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiritualmountain
Do you think it's necessary to be single (not in a relationship) in order to live a spiritual life and advance spiritually?

no - Do watch out for confirmation bias.

Miss Hepburn 27-10-2021 11:28 AM

My input, fwiw. No.
Some of the most spiritually high yogis, gurus, swamis, and Christian and Jewish clergy lived a family life.
Sorry, I don't know about other religious groups.

It would be an individual decision, as in ,'Do you need to live a solitary life to advance?"
Maybe that is best for you this lifetime.
Or
Do you find time spent caring for a family's needs takes you away from your prayer, contemplation, meditation,
going to groups, reading time?
And are they or your one partner neglected? So guilt and discord happens!

26 yrs of 2 relationships and they make me nuts. Sooo not worth it!!!:tongue:
The monastic group-life for years was much better - and now alone...I love it!
Time to do all of the above!

I think this is a worthy topic. :)

Madamedude 27-10-2021 04:38 PM

How have you noticed many are single? Some people separate fully professional from intimate. If they say they are single, it could be that. Or it could also be true.

The thing is, they do what works for them, so should you! If there is someone you want to be with and they want to be with you, just do so. And when you need time for yourself, just tell so. You can have a relationship with someone and still exist on your own outside of it. Two people (or more, I don't judge) forming a couple don't have to blend into one creepy looking blob!

The thing is, if there's someone you really want to be with and not speak up because you're afraid then.. you could regret it. Don't let others thoughts/lifestyle take away from you the opportunity of living something beautiful with someone, just like you wouldn't let someone take you away from your own developpement. And even if the person(s) you are in relationship with don't have the same views as you, without necessarily being opposed, doesn't mean you won't grow from it either.

To sum it up : be spiritualmountain, do what feels natural to you and try not to give in to fear. Just live and try for yourself :wink:

bobjob 27-10-2021 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madamedude
How have you noticed they are all single?

all? How do you know they're ALL single? Where are the data that show it?

Madamedude 27-10-2021 06:24 PM

I have edited it, when writing I thought I had read "all".

bobjob 27-10-2021 06:24 PM

The thread starter asked: "Do you think it's necessary to be single (not in a relationship) in order to live a spiritual life and advance spiritually?
Will being in a relationship slow down the progress of one's spiritual life?"

The answer to both questions is no.

Beyond that a choice may be made, of course, if there's a belief that being single, having no relationships, will enhance one's progress towards whatever one is aiming. But relationships in this dimension are part of of life incarnate's experiences.

Avoid it and regret may follow when looking back during the post-death life review. You will have made a choice though that was yours to make, freewill in action.

bobjob 27-10-2021 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madamedude
I have edited it, when writing I thought I had read "all".

It's easy to read what we think is being said and to exaggerate without meaning to. You perhaps meant "It appears lots are single." and that's irrefutable because it's how you see it. blessings :hug3:

asearcher 27-10-2021 06:39 PM

Hi spiritualmountain, if possible could you ask those you have encountered if there is a correlation between their spirituality and their current single status? Or maybe that's not possible and too personal?

Within the catholic faith the nuns and priests take a vow of celibacy, the Holy Orders, but at the same time the Catholic church don't "teach that all clergy must be celibate", but that is just the Catholic faith, not just those devoted to spiritualism. I, for one, had not thought of it from that perspective before, but interesting question you've asked :)

What I have noted ever so vaquely is that some take on for instance a certain diet believing it will be in align with their spirituality, such as not eating meat, I have heard (but now I can't remember where...) those who avoid or maybe just lost interest in love making as too something in align with their spirituality, but that's about it, what I have captured, here and there.