Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Yoga (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Health Benefits of Yoga. (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5901)

Carly74 07-11-2010 02:15 PM

Health Benefits of Yoga.

I have done yoga for awhile now and have noticed these affects myself:
  • Increases Flexibility: There are specific yoga postures that positively affect the various joints and stress points of the body. Yoga enhances lubrication of the joints, ligaments and tendons, making them flexible and functional.
  • Complete Workout: Possibly, yoga is the only form of activity which ensures the workout of internal organs and vital glands such as the prostrate of the body in a meticulous manner, which cannot be stimulated externally by any other means. Yoga ensures holistic benefit to all parts of the body unlike localized effect ensured by other exercises.
  • Detoxification: Yoga ensures gentle stretching of muscles and joints apart form the comprehensive work out of various internal organs, which in turn improves the optimum blood supply. A healthy blood flow is essential in flushing out the toxins and to provide nourishment to every cell in the body for a zestful life. Yoga can slacken the pace of ageing and ensure vitality.
  • Yoga Enhances Immunity: Yoga helps you to improve the immunity of the body by stimulating the internal organs. It is therapeutically useful in ensuring a healthy body and mind. Yoga is a popular rejuvenation and relaxing technique among health conscious people. It has many benefits such as relieving back pain and easing stress, apart from imparting an overall feeling of goodness.
  • Soothes Mind and Body: Yoga considers mind and body as a singe entity and believes that body has a capacity to heal itself in the right environment. Yoga stipulates correct body postures, alignment, breathing techniques and movement patterns, which would help you to relax even under stress. Yoga practitioners always enjoy stability and emotional bliss even during emotional turmoil and stressful conditions. The American Institute of Stress has accepted yoga as a stress bursting practice.
  • Physiological Benefits of Yoga: Yoga decreases anxiety and brings down high pulse rate and blood pressure. It is understood that during various levels of meditation, alpha, theta, delta, and beta waves increase. Yoga can bring relief to patients suffering from respiratory tract infections and breathing difficulties. It optimizes gastrointestinal function and excretory functions. Yoga improves sleep, memory and the depth of perception apart from enhancing energy levels and dexterity skills.
  • Easy to Practice: Yoga is simple and ideal for every age group as it involves slow and static movements. It has a minimal risk of muscle injury and is low calorie consumption activity where the main thrust area includes breathing techniques.
  • Tones up the Muscles: Yoga helps to shed extra fat and flab and to tone up the muscles, improving the general appearance.
My family around me have also noticed that I'm more relaxed and not nearly as grouchy as normal.

Spiritlite 07-11-2010 03:11 PM

This makes me want to start yoga again as it's so beneficial in all ways, thanks for this post to get me motivated again :)
Spiritlite.

Spiritlite 10-11-2010 10:28 PM

I use wai lana dvd's and I find her the best on dvd.
SPiritlite.

NightSpirit 25-11-2010 08:52 AM

I'm really interested in seeking out exercises to strengthen the back muscles...wondering if anyone would know of a site with pics or details for this? Are there any yoga postures as well for the back?
Thanks.

NightSpirit 25-11-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultra-violet

That's great! Thanks so much ultra-violet...I'll be doing those..definitely! Thanks:D

Spiritlite 25-11-2010 04:57 PM

I love back asana's I can feel my whole spine go click click click and then when I see the chiropractor he's all "your back is fine no need for adjustment" thanks to yoga.
Spiritlite.

Neeti_Shri 26-11-2010 12:42 PM

guyz,
how many of you do suryanamaskar? it is really awesome!im telling you,you dont have to do a whole lot of yoga asanas,just upto 10 suryanamaskars are enough.its got 12 steps,and literally it means paying homage to the sun.best done in the morning.

complete workout for entire body in one shot.i have heard of slipped discs,all major and minor spine problems getting healed,all neck problems healed,weightloss,every possible benefit.try it!

i do it maybe 4-5 times.google it,have fun!love,neets.

Spiritlite 28-11-2010 03:17 AM

so for two weeks I've been doing half an hour of yoga 5 days a week and boy do I feel great.
What are your guys experience with yoga?
Spiritlite.

harley's mum 01-12-2010 08:04 PM

hello again forum... I hope you will all go to the post reply I just entered a very descriptive story on yoga as in all the forms of yoga and not just the asanas (postures) of HATHA YOGA etc etc and to Neetikamath might I add you are the first to actually get it right in fact as I said in the other post WHEN MASTERED CORRECTLY ...
SURYA NAMASKARA IS THE ONLY HATHA YOGA ASANAS NEEDED
BUT... like most things that appear simple in fact it is not or as they say god is in the detail when I said that it must be "mastered correctly" ..!

and to dear Nightspirit might I humbly suggest that to strengthen ones back one needs to in fact strengthen the stomach and the core because this is what holds up the back and the ultimate in simplicity is in fact learning how to correctly carry your frame and how to correctly sit and how to correctly stand and to do this try standing against a wall or door and put your heels against the door stand tall breath and stay there as long as you can and keep doing it and you will be amazed... remember it is really very simple the god is in the detail just remember to breath and don't tighten and stress... there are more I could suggest but am a great believer in KISS THEORY (AKA KEEP IS SIMPLE SWEETHEART)

NightSpirit 02-12-2010 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harley's mum
hello again forum... I hope you will all go to the post reply I just entered a very descriptive story on yoga as in all the forms of yoga and not just the asanas (postures) of HATHA YOGA etc etc and to Neetikamath might I add you are the first to actually get it right in fact as I said in the other post WHEN MASTERED CORRECTLY ...
SURYA NAMASKARA IS THE ONLY HATHA YOGA ASANAS NEEDED
BUT... like most things that appear simple in fact it is not or as they say god is in the detail when I said that it must be "mastered correctly" ..!

and to dear Nightspirit might I humbly suggest that to strengthen ones back one needs to in fact strengthen the stomach and the core because this is what holds up the back and the ultimate in simplicity is in fact learning how to correctly carry your frame and how to correctly sit and how to correctly stand and to do this try standing against a wall or door and put your heels against the door stand tall breath and stay there as long as you can and keep doing it and you will be amazed... remember it is really very simple the god is in the detail just remember to breath and don't tighten and stress... there are more I could suggest but am a great believer in KISS THEORY (AKA KEEP IS SIMPLE SWEETHEART)

Wow! You've hit the nail on the head harley's mum. It's the tummy/core muscle I've been told to strengthen because I have a bulging disc. Thanks very much, now that exercise I can do without strain on my back! :D