Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Science & Spirituality (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   HOW DID ANCIENTS KNOW & CALCULATE THE EQUINOX (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=131282)

BigJohn 20-09-2019 02:07 AM

HOW DID ANCIENTS KNOW & CALCULATE THE EQUINOX

Sounds like a simple problem. but how did the ancients know and calculate the equinox without reliable time pieces?

John32241 20-09-2019 09:05 AM

Hi,

There were two factors actually. They were closer to nature which allowed greater intuitive thinking. This lead them to recognize the value of base 12 math which many see as ancient math today.

Using base 12 math instead of base 10 math allows for more percise calculations. Some thing not considered important I guess. I have no idea why we insist on counting things with the fingers on our hands.

John

BigJohn 20-09-2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John32241
Hi,

There were two factors actually. They were closer to nature which allowed greater intuitive thinking. This lead them to recognize the value of base 12 math which many see as ancient math today.

Using base 12 math instead of base 10 math allows for more percise calculations. Some thing not considered important I guess. I have no idea why we insist on counting things with the fingers on our hands.

John

Base 12 apparently wad a subset of base 60 (sexagesimal) 5 X 12.

I am at a loss as to how they could calculate the Equinox without a reliable measure for time. I have been puzzled by this question for about 20 years.

Legrand 20-09-2019 07:29 PM

Even more interesting than the Equinox,

How did the ancient who drew the 12 astrological signs in the sky, know where the center of our galaxy was?

It was only discovered by our advanced science between 1950 and 1960.

Yet the tail of Scorpio and the arrow of Sagittarius point to this center…

As this one minute video gives a visual for those who don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8eIVv3_ZbU

Interesting indeed.

r6r6 20-09-2019 07:36 PM

Quote:

BigJohn--Base 12 apparently wad a subset of base 60 (sexagesimal) 5 X 12.

Fuller believes this stems from Babaloyians knowledge of the icosa{20}hedron. One of the ancient stones is of an icosahedron and the icosahedron has chirality as 60 left-handed right triangles and 60 right-handed triangles.

Also the icosahedron has 30 edges/chords and when the icosaehedron is derived from the cubo-octahedron its has those 30 edges i.e. 30 left and 30 right-hand versions.

On an aside, there exist 20 kinds of amino-acids for most part they also have chirality handeness. Well the icosahedron 20 left or right handed triangles, in relation to teh cubo-octahedron it is derived from, depending on which direction the spin of contraction happens with the cubo-octahedron. LINK

Quote:

I am at a loss as to how they could calculate the Equinox without a reliable measure for time. I have been puzzled by this question for about 20 years.

If your just talking day of year, then I dont see how that is difficult for people who lived with nature all of there life and passed on days of year and tthe soltice and equinox to next generation.

If your talking about the exact time of day, well that is another isse but still I dont see how that would be problematic. The oldest abacus in the world was discovered in China and it had 13 columns.

13 columns allows for calculations into the trillions or trillions of any base system.

Legrand 20-09-2019 07:39 PM

For the equinox calculation.

"Systematically observing the sunrise, people discovered that it occurs between two extreme locations at the horizon and eventually noted the midpoint between the two. Later it was realized that this happens on a day when the durations of the day and the night are practically equal and the word "equinox" comes from Latin Aequus, meaning "equal", and Nox, meaning "night". " Wikipedia

BigJohn 20-09-2019 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legrand
For the equinox calculation.

"Systematically observing the sunrise, people discovered that it occurs between two extreme locations at the horizon and eventually noted the midpoint between the two. Later it was realized that this happens on a day when the durations of the day and the night are practically equal and the word "equinox" comes from Latin Aequus, meaning "equal", and Nox, meaning "night". " Wikipedia

But without an accurate time piece, how were they able to tell that some days the daylight was longer or shorter then the previous day?

Legrand 20-09-2019 08:02 PM

No more power at my home. So I’m writing from cell.

No need of time to find it. Simply observe from the same point of observation in a year where the sun sets. On a circle where you are the center, put a rock where it sets the most far away on one side at the beginning of winter and put another rock on that circle where it sets down the most far away on the other side, which marks the beginning of summer. When the sun sets in the middle of those two rocks you have the solstice.

r6r6 20-09-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

When the sun sets in the middle of those two rocks you have the solstice.

Picture of that below but it includes a pencil and pie plate.

Is this what led to the sundial?

Legrand 20-09-2019 08:42 PM

Typo in my last post. The last word should be equinox not solstice. Sorry typing from a cell...

BigJohn 20-09-2019 09:43 PM

Quote:

No need of time to find it. Simply observe from the same point of observation in a year where the sun sets. On a circle where you are the center, put a rock where it sets the most far away on one side at the beginning of winter and put another rock on that circle where it sets down the most far away on the other side, which marks the beginning of summer. When the sun sets in the middle of those two rocks you have the solstice.

CLEVER.......
But how would a person know that the amount of daylight and darkness were the same on a solstice without an accurate time piece?

Legrand 21-09-2019 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn
CLEVER.......
But how would a person know that the amount of daylight and darkness were the same on a solstice without an accurate time piece?

Hello Big John,

One thing if for sure, when the Egyptians build their first Pyramids, around 3500 BC, they already new the exact position of the equinox in a way that even today we would have difficulty to build a so huge construction that is perfectly aligned with the True East and West line as the pyramids are.

On the equinox day the sun sets on the true West and the sun rises on the True East. Drawing a line from those two points at that time of the year gives a good idea of the direction for the true East/West line. Finding the place where the sun sets on the Equinox in those times is the only way I know of to find that line. Yet the finding with such precision the angle of that line in the way the pyramids where build would be a challenge for any surveyor and builders of today with all the tools we have.

As for realising that the time of day = the times of the night on the equinox day. Don't know how they did it, and when we realized it was such a thing on the equinox day.

The oldest sun clock dates from around 1500 BC. But then it only gives the time during the daylight. How did they calculate the time during the night time to compare with day time? Most probably from observation of the movement of the stars. But this is only speculation from my part.

Even more fascinating than the equinox, is the knowledge they had in those times, as shows for example the Mayan calender, of the north/sud pole axis of rotation of the earth doing a precessional circle in the sky that takes 25 920 years. It's from this movement of the axe of rotation of the planet that we say that we are entering the age of Aquarius that will last for about 2160 years.

Have a great day!

John32241 21-09-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Even more fascinating than the equinox, is the knowledge they had in those times, as shows for example the Mayan calender, of the north/sud pole axis of rotation of the earth doing a precessional circle in the sky that takes 25 920 years. It's from this movement of the axe of rotation of the planet that we say that we are entering the age of Aquarius that will last for about 2160 years.

Hi,

It is amazing to me that they did these things. May be were were smarter back then than we are now.

John

r6r6 21-09-2019 03:18 PM

..Space ( Time ) | ( Time ) Space....

Quote:

is the knowledge they had in those times, as shows for example the Mayan calender, of the north/sud pole axis of rotation of the earth doing a precessional circle in the sky that takes 25 920 years. It's from this movement of the axe of rotation of the planet that we say that we are entering the age of Aquarius that will last for about 2160 years.

Perhaps it has to do with mathematical extrapolation based on what is known from years of observation of precession and observation is key.

https://www.quora.com/How-did-ancien...-the-equinoxes

.."Axial precession shows up as both procession of the equinoxes and the changes in the star closest to True North. People must have found such stars useful for navigating. But it would be noted that there were slow shifts:"...

..."Ptolemy compared his own observations with those made
by Hipparchus, Menelaus of Alexandria, Timocharis, and Agrippa. He found thabetween Hipparchus's time and his own (about 265 years), the stars had moved 2°40', or 1° in 100 years (36" per year; the rate accepted today is about 50" per year or 1° in 72 years). He also confirmed that precession affected all fixed stars, not just those near the ecliptic, and his cycle had the same period of 36,000 years as found by Hipparchus."....

BigJohn 22-09-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John32241
Hi,

It is amazing to me that they did these things. May be were were smarter back then than we are now.John

POSSIBLY!
Back in the early 19th century, Charles Babbage (Father of computers) came close to building a mechanical computer. The one who I admired from that story was Ada Lovelace, a person who critiqued Babbage's work. Oddly, her father, Lord Byron, is remembered whereas she continues to acquire dust from siting on the shelf.

Legrand 22-09-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r6r6r
Perhaps it has to do with mathematical extrapolation based on what is known from years of observation of precession and observation is key.

https://www.quora.com/How-did-ancien...-the-equinoxes

.."Axial precession shows up as both procession of the equinoxes and the changes in the star closest to True North. People must have found such stars useful for navigating. But it would be noted that there were slow shifts:"...

..."Ptolemy compared his own observations with those made
by Hipparchus, Menelaus of Alexandria, Timocharis, and Agrippa. He found thabetween Hipparchus's time and his own (about 265 years), the stars had moved 2°40', or 1° in 100 years (36" per year; the rate accepted today is about 50" per year or 1° in 72 years). He also confirmed that precession affected all fixed stars, not just those near the ecliptic, and his cycle had the same period of 36,000 years as found by Hipparchus."....

Hello r6r6,

I tried to understand the meaning of 36 000 years and I could not. Could you explain more on that number? what it means to you?

72 years to make 1 degree x 360 degree in a circle = 25 920 years.

Regards,

r6r6 22-09-2019 04:09 PM

...@{ * i *}@....Mama mia Mama mia

Quote:

Hello r6r6,I tried to understand the meaning of 36 000 years and I could not. Could you explain more on that number? what it means to you? 72 years to make 1 degree x 360 degree in a circle = 25 920 years.Regards,

36000 as number has not specific meaning to me. Sorry if I gave that impression. I was only copying info from net that helped to valid a mycomments as stater regarding mathematical extrapolation via years of observation by Maya and whomever else.

You may need to read more info from that specific Quora page I linked to or find other sources of a similar nature. It seems apparent to me that there is no deep unaccounted for mystery regarding how maya new this or that regarding equnoz solitce etc.

Nor that they could do mathmatical caclulations out to some date in the future. Wasnt 2012 alledged to be the Mayas end-of-time scenario? I didnt buy into then and constantly correcting those who predicted doom related to it. Or a least most assessed it that way.

Then after 2012 came and gone they changed there tune or it just meant a monumental change was coming. Charlatan conartist luke around ever corner.

Yet here we are. End of human time on Earth is most likely related to Erratic Climate Change and any resultant pressures that may develop in world of crisis that also has,

plenty of hydrogen bombs to wipe out humanity,

plenty of nuke plants and nuclear waste just sitting around,

plenty of toxic polluants sittiing around,

etc.........Do you follow my drift here above?

ImthatIm 22-09-2019 07:06 PM

Find the longest day.
Find the shortest day.
Count the days in between.
Divide by 2.

Various devices were used.

BigJohn 22-09-2019 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImthatIm
Find the longest day.
Find the shortest day.
Count the days in between.
Divide by 2.

Various devices were used.

Without a time piece, how do you find the longest and shortest day?
Besides, how did they realize the hours of day light were not the same every day?
For me, it is a very difficult question.

Legrand 22-09-2019 09:20 PM

Hello :)

Here up North, as I watch the birds already leaving for the South, I wonder how they know its time for them to migrate on this beautiful hot and sunny day.

r6r6 23-09-2019 04:03 AM

Quote:

Besides, how did they realize the hours of day light were not the same every day?

Sundials? Ergo shadow movement

BigJohn 23-09-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

No need of time to find it. Simply observe from the same point of observation in a year where the sun sets. On a circle where you are the center, put a rock where it sets the most far away on one side at the beginning of winter and put another rock on that circle where it sets down the most far away on the other side, which marks the beginning of summer. When the sun sets in the middle of those two rocks you have the equinox.

SOUNDS REASONABLE!
But how would one realize this data is important?
For example, at the Equinox, the amount of daylight and darkness at these 2 days per year are the same.

Legrand 23-09-2019 04:36 PM

Quote:

SOUNDS REASONABLE!
But how would one realize this data is important?
For example, at the Equinox, the amount of daylight and darkness at these 2 days per year are the same.

Just like for the birds who need to migrate when the seasons change to find food or not die from the cold of winter, even as nomads in the last ice age the change of seasons must of been remarked in order to survive. And latter to need to know when to plant the seeds in spring. To know and find out pointers to indicate when the seasons change was thus a matter of survival for us then.

My two cents...

r6r6 23-09-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

My two cents...

Position of sun, moon stars etc relates to seasonal changes.

BigJohn 27-09-2019 02:27 AM

Quote:

Position of sun, moon stars etc relates to seasonal changes.

How does the position of the Sun, Moon, Stars, etc. have any bearing as to how the ancients could tell some days were longer then other days without a reliable time piece?

muffin 27-09-2019 05:36 AM

Quote:

Sounds like a simple problem. but how did the ancients know and calculate the equinox without reliable time pieces?

Good afternoon BigJohn :smile:

Do you think this is the first time around :wink:

r6r6 27-09-2019 06:36 PM

...@{ * 3 * }@....

Quote:

How does the position of the Sun, Moon, Stars, etc. have any bearing as to how the ancients could tell some days were longer then other days without a reliable time piece?

Not with Boolean math-magics :icon_eek: is my best guess.

BigJohn 29-09-2019 10:26 PM

Quote:

Hello Big John,

One thing if for sure, when the Egyptians build their first Pyramids, around 3500 BC, they already new the exact position of the equinox in a way that even today we would have difficulty to build a so huge construction that is perfectly aligned with the True East and West line as the pyramids are.

On the equinox day the sun sets on the true West and the sun rises on the True East. Drawing a line from those two points at that time of the year gives a good idea of the direction for the true East/West line. Finding the place where the sun sets on the Equinox in those times is the only way I know of to find that line. Yet the finding with such precision the angle of that line in the way the pyramids where build would be a challenge for any surveyor and builders of today with all the tools we have.

As for realising that the time of day = the times of the night on the equinox day. Don't know how they did it, and when we realized it was such a thing on the equinox day.

The oldest sun clock dates from around 1500 BC. But then it only gives the time during the daylight. How did they calculate the time during the night time to compare with day time? Most probably from observation of the movement of the stars. But this is only speculation from my part.

Have a great day!

Your method of finding the equinox seems the most probable. Where I live,
Apaches knew about the equinox probably via the same method as you have mentioned.

What I suspect the ancients used to measure time was some form of water clock. Knowing when the sun is directly above,
a cylinder could be filled with water with a small whole in the bottom. After much trial and error, they would know how
much water would be needed in the cylinder so as to leak out of the cylinder from high noon to the next high noon.

The Babylonians used a base 10 and base 60 number system. The base 60 number system probably came about because of trade.
12 played an important part in their number system. Before they had mastered how to measure time, they
probably believed the length of daylight and darkness was probably of equal length.

With a calibrated water tower calibrated for 1 day, they could easily divide the height of the water in the
water clock into 24 equal parts. With a base 60 number system, they could possibly
calibrate the water tower down to the minute.

r6r6 30-09-2019 04:39 AM

..Space ( Time *) i (* Time ) Space....

Quote:

Sundial if not others for reliability.

Modern Scientist know that the height of the largest tetrahedron we know to exist in Universe that is on Mars. The know because of the shadow length and other data.

Sundials use shadows.

BigJohn 30-09-2019 01:49 PM

As already discussed several times, how can a sundial be used after the sun 'sits'?

r6r6 30-09-2019 02:18 PM

Quote:

BigJohn--As already discussed several times, how can a sundial be used after the sun 'sits'?

Dont know that you need a night time piece.

Moon dial and hour glass are other possible ways to reference time to celestial events.

BigJohn 30-09-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Dont know that you need a night time piece.

Moon dial and hour glass are other possible ways to reference time to celestial events.

I think you forgot part (b) of the question. How did the ancients know that each day there is more or less daylight and darkness each day and it totals 24 hours? So how could they tell on the equinox's, the daylight and darkness were equal length. If they could not measure the length of darkness, they could have concluded the length of each day is different from the previous day.

r6r6 30-09-2019 04:11 PM

Quote:

BigJohn--I think you forgot part (b) of the question. How did the ancients know that each day there is more or less daylight and darkness each day

Observation, sundials, hourglass time pieces :clock: and whatever other time clocks that could have been used.

Quote:

and it totals 24 hours? So how could they tell on the equinox's, the daylight and darkness were equal length. If they could not measure the length of darkness, they could have concluded the length of each day is different from the previous day.

Ditto my above and all of my previous posts adn here is link to others that we know of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...eeping_devices

Sun Clocks

..'The Sumerian culture was lost without passing on its knowledge, but the Egyptians were apparently the next to formally divide their day into parts something like our hours. Obelisks (slender, tapering, four-sided monuments) were built as early as 3500 BCE. Their moving shadows formed a kind of sundial, enabling people to partition the day into morning and afternoon. Obelisks also showed the year's longest and shortest days when the shadow at noon was the shortest or longest of the year. Later, additional markers around the base of the monument would indicate further subdivisions of time.

BigJohn 03-10-2019 07:18 AM

Gee.... the Sumerians are noted for using the base 60 number system. It is a toss up which came first: base 60 or base 10. In some parts of the World, base 60 is still used by some merchants. At times, I enjoy using base 60.

Remnants of base 60 are found in time and navigation. If a person goes to 5 places, using time and navigation based on base 60, a person can calculate how to get from the last place to the start place and if they travel at a constant speed, how long it will take to get back to the starting location.

At one time, I was fascinated with base 60 but then I have worked with numerous other number bases. For example, one project I did, I worked with octal, tri-octal, binary and hexadecimal. A nice exercise is to try working with numbers in one base and then convert them to another base.

Gem 03-10-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

The simplest way would be to note where the sun sets and rises everyday, and realise there is a pattern of the sun swinging from right to left, and it draws high and low arcs on the sky. It's relatively easy to establish the equinoxes in this way, within a few days at least, without having a counting system to measure number of days or hours therein. People would notice the days became longer and shorter without time pieces, and it's likely the chronology by which time was perceived would have been different to our modern method of counted time intervals. No doubt the old peoples' representations of time was less accurate than our modern use of atomic clocks etc, but they did not need accurate measures back then.

Greenslade 03-10-2019 09:41 AM

Quote:

I live in north east Scotland in a small town that's traditionally fishing and farming, so most folks around here take notice of things like daylight hours and weather patterns, the changing of the seasons.... At the summer Solstice we have a handful of hours of darkness and winter Solstice gives a handful of hours of daylight. There's a noticeable difference even just after the Solstice when the days become either shorter or longer and no timepiece is needed. Perhaps megalithic man noticed the changes in daylight hours and devised a way to measure them more accurately, in the same way as he noticed the sun creeping across the sky over the course of the year.

BigJohn 03-10-2019 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gem
The simplest way would be to note where the sun sets and rises everyday, and realise there is a pattern of the sun swinging from right to left, and it draws high and low arcs on the sky. It's relatively easy to establish the equinoxes in this way, within a few days at least, without having a counting system to measure number of days or hours therein. People would notice the days became longer and shorter without time pieces, and it's likely the chronology by which time was perceived would have been different to our modern method of counted time intervals. No doubt the old peoples' representations of time was less accurate than our modern use of atomic clocks etc, but they did not need accurate measures back then.

You are right.

Then the idea was added of the importance of the equinox: equal daylight and darkness which also brings up the point that the length of daylight per day are different for each day except for on the 2 equinoxes. How could the ancients resolve this? They would need to be able to calculate time. As for calculating time, one method was mentioned in post # 28.

Ever once in a while, I would become fascinated with time. For example, I almost bought a 18th century watch: only one hand. Then there was my interest in solar time which the railroads use to go by till we got the form of counting time we have today: time zones. Lets not forget that the second and minute are based from base 60 which also gave us the 12 used in 12 hours and another 12 hours. If you become familiar as to how some merchants of today use base 60 in sale transactions: 12 plays a major role.

BigJohn 03-10-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenslade
I live in north east Scotland in a small town that's traditionally fishing and farming, so most folks around here take notice of things like daylight hours and weather patterns, the changing of the seasons.... At the summer Solstice we have a handful of hours of darkness and winter Solstice gives a handful of hours of daylight. There's a noticeable difference even just after the Solstice when the days become either shorter or longer and no timepiece is needed. Perhaps megalithic man noticed the changes in daylight hours and devised a way to measure them more accurately, in the same way as he noticed the sun creeping across the sky over the course of the year.

NICE COMMENT

On post # 28, a workable method of time was given.

Were I live, the Apaches built structures that are aligned by the equinoxes. The Jews knew about it so they
could calculate their New Year's first month, Nisan, in which they derived when the Passover would occur.

John32241 03-10-2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

At one time, I was fascinated with base 60 but then I have worked with numerous other number bases. For example, one project I did, I worked with octal, tri-octal, binary and hexadecimal. A nice exercise is to try working with numbers in one base and then convert them to another base.

Hi,

I have done my fair share of assembler programming. Binary concepts are important to appreciate when dealing with electronics.

The place for base 12 math is in physics. I was not aware there was a base 60 system. In physics there is the need for matching the number of elements and concluding the relationship. Since nature works in base 12 math with a lot of 3's, 4's, and 6's it only seems reasonable to me we would want to think in those terms instead of base 10 like we do now. In my mind the ancients were closer to nature and understood things better than we do today.

As far as computers are concerned, our 64 bit processors of today are not effective. The registers these chips use are 1 byte, 2 byte, 4 byte, and 8 bytes mostly. There is no effective way to deal with storage sizes of 3, 5, 6, & 7 bytes. Not to mention the great liability that all boolian data must be stored 2 byte fields of information. A great deal of programming logic is yes/no boolian dependant. Yet we do not have really good ways to work with it.

I first worked with assembler in 1965-1966. It was called FAP. Fortran Assembly programming. Then again in 1975-1976 with BAL. Basic assembler language. My most recent experience has been with FASM. That runs on the current x86 chip sets. I mostly use the higher level languages because assembler does not have a user friendly interface. However the day it can work directly with a browser like front end I will be a big advocate for it.

John

BigJohn 03-10-2019 08:43 PM

I can relate to what you are saying.

In my playful moments, I talk about 2 bits which can also be a quarter (25 cents)
and in 1881 you could get two glasses of whiskey for 2 bits (quarter)

Then there is 4 bits which is a nibble (binary).

2 nibbles, which is 8 bits, makes a byte.

2 bytes, which is 16 bits, is a word (binary)

Do you remember how data was "packed"

Interesting you brought up the x86 chip sets which it seems most programs are compiled using that chip set instructions. The 8086 microprocessor came out in the 1970's.... and apparently most of our programs are still using that limited instruction set.