Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Death & The Afterlife (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What happens in a coma? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94839)

metal68 13-12-2015 10:36 PM

What happens in a coma?

No one has woken up and reported back of a spiritual or astral world; consciousness just seems to be absent for the duration. Is this not a worrying sign that there may be nothing after death?

If the brain is truly a receiver then we should never lose consciousness at all should we? If we are the signal then even if the signal gets temporarily lost we should still be aware shouldn't we?

What about these folk who deepfreeze their bodies/heads?

Flexi-Girl 13-12-2015 11:38 PM

There is a book by Eban Alexander called "Proof of Heaven". He was a neurosurgeon and went into a coma for about a week. He said it was the remarkable experience he ever had. I would read that.

metal68 13-12-2015 11:48 PM

yeh I have read that one; its a bit too fairy tale in places, also Im not sure about his credibility. I don't dismiss it out of hand but its the least convincing account Ive read

Flexi-Girl 13-12-2015 11:52 PM

It's hard for me to say as I've never been in a coma, but I have had enough personal experiences to make me seriously think. I wish I could say more.

Priscilla 14-12-2015 04:56 AM

My husband was in a medically induced coma for six weeks. He spoke of reliving parts of his life and being visited by his deceased parents who told him it was not his time. He regained consciousness and lived for another year and a half before he continued his journey. His last words were, "It's okay. Everything is going to be fine."

wolfgaze 14-12-2015 05:27 AM

I feel that one's consciousness or spirit is always experiencing something in some form or fashion... However when we enter altered states (such as the sleep/dream state), there is the question as to whether or not one's memory of what was experienced is integrated into one's waking memory...

For example - have you ever woken up from a night's rest with no memory of having had any dreams the night before? Then some time during the course of the day either something jogs your memory or you just suddenly and unexpectedly recall the content of dream from the prior night's sleep?

I have read in some OBE literature (particularly Robert Bruce's book) that there are some issues with memory integration following OBE experiences... That it's possible to have had an OBE and fail to integrate the all the details of that experience upon reconnection with the physical body..

I'm not well-versed in those types of experiences but I often have the sudden dream recall happen to me after remembering nothing upon initially waking...

So I suspect individuals in comas are consciously experiencing something - but when they physically wake up there is the question as to whether or not they can access that information/memory....

It's a really good question though and one I have pondered before myself....

:icon_thumright:

Colorado 16-12-2015 01:41 AM

When I had my nde, I was conscious. I was here and then I was there. This is my opinion, after thinking about this and reading so many other people's NDE's, I believe that souls can rest, literally. Not everyone is going to be the same. It is similiar to sleep, sometimes you dream, sometimes you don't. I believe we are energy, even if we go through periods where we are not conscious...we are still a live wire. Who says we have to be conscious to be eternal?

I think that is a misconception. I can only say this, I know when I was a toddler, I was one of those kids you have read about who could recall their past lives.

I even knew some of those people from my previous life, who were going to be in this life. I also knew what to look for, I knew what they would look like...and I still remember telling myself not to forget, do not forget. You have unfinished business with this or that person. And guess what....I forgot! I was conscious of this when I was 3 years old...by the time I hit 5 or 6, the memories of what I had to do faded away.

However, I did run into these people starting in my teen years, and I was drawn to them. I was not actively conscious of it, but my soul was and my feelings were drawn to these people.

I didnt remember these memories until later, after my NDE. I know for a fact I had these memories as a small kid, because my memory came back in later on...and I can remember as a 3 year, sitting under a tree in the evening time, in my front yard, recalling these past life memories.

Consciousness and memory are a funny thing. People believe because you dont remember or are not conscious of something, that you are not alive or it didnt happen. That is wrong...you can still be alive and not be conscious...even after death.

If you think about it, those people you read about in a coma... but had no memory or conscious...they were still alive. Energy is energy, with or without a constant consciousness.

Consciousness and memory do not go hand in hand with energy. They are made possible by your brain, but mainly by your feelings. It is your feelings that bring back these memories and make you conscious of them.

And I am a firm believer, that your feelings are your soul, or a huge part of your soul. I believe the older a soul is, the more consciousness it has. I do not consider most souls on this earth old souls....even though many people here will argue about this until the sun comes up. I have a huge family, I work in a huge facility, I have lived in huge cities...almost all of the people I have come across are not old souls or conscious every second of every day. You see this more with people who have suffered from racism, prejudice, trauma, child abuse, ect....the ones who really do learn, are very conscious of how they act and treat others. They are very conscious of it.

They are conscious to a degree where they walk, talk, and breathe consciousness. Its hard to put into words, but it is the difference between someone who is speeds and hits a dog, then keeps going...and someone who stops and checks on the dog and feels really bad.
That person is going to be more conscious on how they drive and there is going to be a certain level of change and pain to where they become fully conscious anytime they are behind the wheel.

It is that level of consciousness, that frequency...that is caused through suffering, which will make a soul more conscious after death.

I think there is a lot of misconceptions, from stories and nde's about the after life and how it works. The more lives you live, the more suffering, the more consciousness you have. BUT, you are still eternal, you are energy...you are always going to be a live wire whether you are conscious of it or not.

When the bible said you would be rewarded for your suffering, it didnt mean you were going to live in streets of gold or win the lottery, it meant you are going to build your own conciousness and through this consciousness you will have the ability to manifest your own reality...brick by brick, life after life. That not only includes suffering, but any kind of passion you have in this life that you pursue or are conscious of.

We are energy, we are very comfortable having no conscious at all... its what happened when we were separated from the source, but it is also a natural state. Having a higher consciousness, is rewarding for spiritual advancement and future lives.

(I put lots of spaces between my little paragraphs because apparently the way I type and word things, can be hard to comprehend to some)

Cbarns 30-12-2015 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metal68
No one has woken up and reported back of a spiritual or astral world; consciousness just seems to be absent for the duration. Is this not a worrying sign that there may be nothing after death?

If the brain is truly a receiver then we should never lose consciousness at all should we? If we are the signal then even if the signal gets temporarily lost we should still be aware shouldn't we?

What about these folk who deepfreeze their bodies/heads?

Do you have conscious memory of your entire nights sleep when you wake up? I know I don't, and I'm pretty sure I'm not completely dead for most of the night.

I'm pretty sure our spirit's levels of consciousness don't always connect well with each other, or carry over from one state to another. I feel a lot goes on in our sleep that we just don't carry with us back to our waking state or "normal" state of consciousness.

CrystalSong 30-12-2015 11:41 PM

I've remote viewed and done healing work on people in coma's and those under anesthesia - they're consciousness hangs outside the body and few feet away from it and a bit above and just watches everything calmly. The have no memory of this upon return to mental consciousness and bodily function.

O 31-12-2015 01:05 AM

If you're interested...

There is a TV series called "I survived..beyond and back".
Actual survivors tell their stories of their near death experiences.

Here's the link to direct you there (there are multiple episodes).

http://www.mylifetime.com/movies/i-s...de-1/episode-6

(Edit)
My bad...they don't show the full episodes any longer on their site (at least from what I can see), only teasers.
Try youtube...I managed to find one or two. Not quite the same, but better than nothing. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE9pOYTlAAQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-UVRg49PHg