Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Buddhism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Judge me.....please (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=116084)

BlueSky 14-08-2017 12:04 AM

Judge me.....please

I was wondering if you all here in the Buddhism circle would be so kind as to judge me. I'd like to see what your intuition says about me if anything. It could be good/bad, positive/negative all is welcome and will not meet with opposition.

I've come to understand what Buddhism is saying that it is about and the more I read, the more I feel I either don't agree or am just not ready for it as a practice.
Heck I don't even mind suffering, it's a part of life as is joy and happiness and desire and attachments.

So as a last effort to try and analyze myself I ask you to analyze me for me.

Thank you in advance

naturesflow 14-08-2017 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSky
I was wondering if you all here in the Buddhism circle would be so kind as to judge me. I'd like to see what your intuition says about me if anything. It could be good/bad, positive/negative all is welcome and will not meet with opposition.

I've come to understand what Buddhism is saying that it is about and the more I read, the more I feel I either don't agree or am just not ready for it as a practice.
Heck I don't even mind suffering, it's a part of life as is joy and happiness and desire and attachments.

Thank you in advance

Judge you?
My intuition has no judgement, so I cant help you in the way your seeking.

A few things arose reading this all the same, but they arose more out of curiousity... Why are you seeking to be analysed by Buddhist circle? It doesn't make sense to my awareness in me and Buddhism as one. Why is it difficult for you to not reflect through all life that will show you yourself, every single day you enter into life?

Another thought...(I guess if he "feels judged" by others he might understand judgement better or gain more insight into those parts of himself that he is yet to see because he feels he is missing something in himself? Perhaps? )
If he wants others to intuit him and analyse him, does that mean he is not listening deeper into his own being to listen in this way? Is it his intuition that he is missing and he is yet to feel connected to it? This could well be so? A disconnect from his intuition, it does happen?

Then I could go on further and wonder some more...

What if he is seeking to find himself in Buddhism teachings and he cant see himself in there yet because he hasn't opened to himself fully yet to know he is within the teachings when he understands himself, living as that?

And of course there is always more..
Well he understands living with all aspects of life is part of life, you can just ride with it all, let go and embrace what is important, so that seems like a great way to embrace life, so what more is he missing I wonder? You can ride the waves and surf your way through the whole damn lot?

And then I need to ask you this..
What part of Buddhism doesn't match your own alignment and views? Do you mean all of it?
And also why is it not ok for you to say "Its not my path?" and find you somewhere else ?

Shivani Devi 14-08-2017 06:19 AM

Quote:

Thank you in advance

I believe there's a reason why you chose that signature I enjoy reading so much. :wink:

There is no judgment. It only produces conflict and guilt and I could say that only you can judge yourself, but even that is an illusion.

The reason why I am not a Buddhist is because it's a philosophy about overcoming negative emotions instead of embracing the positive ones and just existing how you are and if you are not happy with being how/what you are, you change that as you see fit.

If a religion or philosophy doesn't seem right for you and you find yourself at odds with it, move on. Suffering, attachments, joy and whatever are the result of karma anyway.

The only thing I can say is that maybe you are being too hard on yourself and looking for reinforcement of your own personal limitations.

Let go and just be.

sky 14-08-2017 12:30 PM

Quote:

Thank you in advance

I think to judge and analyze are two different things, to analyze is to see things/people for what they are and to judge is to see things/people for what you think they should be...

So I will analyze.... I think you are another sentient being trying as best you can to find your path, as we all are :smile:

BlueSky 14-08-2017 01:01 PM

Thank you kindly for responding The Necromancer and Natureflows.

First of all let me explain that by asking you to judge I meant to please share with me how I come across to you. I recognize that how I see myself is not necessarily how I come across so by sharing that with me I felt it could be helpful. Judge probably wasn't the best word choice.

Neo, It’s funny you mention my signature because as much as I liked it when I chose it, looking back at its meaning just now actually emphasizes what I don’t like about Buddhism.

chitta vritti nirodha" is a line from Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. It refers to stilling the mind/removing fluctuations in order to experience Ultimate Reality.

In Buddhism as I understand it, removing fluctuations includes those positive ones you and I seem to both enjoy embracing. That’s it in a nutshell but also I have no desire to experience ultimate reality at the expense of this one and Buddhism seems to require such a sacrifice and one that requires blind faith that there even is an ultimate reality.

I understand and enjoy life. I suffer, I rejoice. I desire and I sacrifice. I am compassionate and enjoy my emotions. I love the relationships in my life with loved ones, with nature, with myself. I experience a “me” and embrace it not fully knowing what it is. I experience a “you” as well. I live and I die.

In fact I embrace all of life not really knowing what it is and I’m okay with that. I’m happy.

When I consider the words of The Buddha and put them into practice, I experience anything but happiness.

On some level I can see that the mind can expand to such a state that this one would be unrecognizable but on another I like this one and would actually consider it selfish of myself to cast it aside for something else.

So for me it’s not that Buddhism is all about overcoming negative, it is that it sees the positive as negative. Desire can be a beautiful thing or it can take you over. A sense of self can be a beautiful thing or it can take you over….and so on.

Buddhism is asking me to follow it blindly by practicing it in the way it suggests. I feel blessed that I understand enough about Buddhism to understand that and I feel blessed where practices like mindfulness has made my life more beautiful but I can’t commit to something that just goes against my grain so much that it feels wrong for the reasons I explained above.

So yes I need to let it go and take from it what I have but as one who has been compelled to grow spiritually from being a child to now, there is a sense of guilt or stress in doing so. I even heard an old Billy Joel song the other day and felt my mind try to apply it to me. “I rather laugh with the sinners, then cry with the saints” lol

In closing I think what bothers me most about Buddhism is that I cannot sit down with an 8 year old and explain it in such a way that would instill joy and happiness and a love for things beyond the physical. In fact it would most likely instill the opposite. No self, no desires, dispassion, no emotions, no thought, etc

I hope this post prompts the two of you to further respond. I would love to hear your thoughts as well as others.

Regards

BlueSky 14-08-2017 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky123
I think to judge and analyze are two different things, to analyze is to see things/people for what they are and to judge is to see things/people for what you think they should be...

So I will analyze.... I think you are another sentient being trying as best you can to find your path, as we all are :smile:

Thanks Sky123, I appreciate that. Please see my post above and please feel free to analyze some more.
Regards

Shivani Devi 14-08-2017 02:57 PM

Yes, I am a student of Patanjali and that's why I like your sig so much! =)

If you understood the full meaning and implications of it, you would understand that you are also identifying with the fluctuations arising within your consciousness and hence why I pointed this out to you.

However, that being said, a notion of Divinity fills that whole void for me. It's also why I cannot be a true Buddhist apart from a Vajrayana one. I believe in God.

That has helped me overcome all the 'emptiness' of Buddhism and filled in all the blank spaces within myself - within my heart.

Honestly, if you are happy just being yourself, embracing joy with the pain, attaching yourself to whatever ideals you hold, go for it.

I feel you are very insightful, still trying to find your own identity like Sky has said and you seem to be a very nice person.

Buddhism is too much in the mind and in the whole headspace for me too and I am a 'heart person', but having compassion for others still eludes me somewhat, but I know I have strong feelings towards a Divine being and that has allowed me to fully open up my heart chakra and rest within it.

Just open yourself up a bit more to the opportunities the universe provides and watch for the signs...they'll take you wherever it is you need to go.

Gem 14-08-2017 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Necromancer

If you understood the full meaning and implications of it, you would understand that you are also identifying with the fluctuations arising within your consciousness and hence why I pointed this out to you.

However, that being said, a notion of Divinity fills that whole void for me. It's also why I cannot be a true Buddhist apart from a Vajrayana one. I believe in God.

That has helped me overcome all the 'emptiness' of Buddhism and filled in all the blank spaces within myself - within my heart.

Honestly, if you are happy just being yourself, embracing joy with the pain, attaching yourself to whatever ideals you hold, go for it.

I feel you are very insightful, still trying to find your own identity like Sky has said and you seem to be a very nice person.

Buddhism is too much in the mind and in the whole headspace for me too and I am a 'heart person', but having compassion for others still eludes me somewhat, but I know I have strong feelings towards a Divine being and that has allowed me to fully open up my heart chakra and rest within it.

Just open yourself up a bit more to the opportunities the universe provides and watch for the signs...they'll take you wherever it is you need to go.

I guess Buddhism as an organised religion suits me because I don't have to worry about God.

Yes, 'just be yourself' sums it up nicely... if it's really OK with you to be as you are, that is.

Essentially, Buddhism is geared to ending suffering, and by process of insight one goes through a purification so the love of the universe opens through the heart.

The Buddhist practice I'm familiar with is based on the satipatthana sutta - the four pillars of mindfulness - which enables the purification I mentioned.

BlueSky 14-08-2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Necromancer

I mean no disrespect but advice doesn't work in the context of what I was hoping to hear what folks here see in me that I might not see and understandably so as we are all different and quite complex in our own ways.
Also I really don't have a choice in how I react to all this because I can't with a pure heart follow it as I understand it.

Ground 14-08-2017 07:58 PM

Quote:

I was wondering if you all here in the Buddhism circle would be so kind as to judge me.

you're confused.