Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Forum Help (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   my reply was deleted (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=32804)

gpGeminiMN 26-03-2012 02:58 AM

my reply was deleted

I just spent about a half hour typing out a reply and hit reply only to find out that I had been logged off and my whole reply was deleted. What's up with that? If I am using the site, I expect to remain logged in. Please explain what happened.

Rin 26-03-2012 03:19 AM

After some time of inactivity the server kills the connection. As typing a long reply does not generate any server-client traffic the server does not know that you are actually doing something.
For long posts, type Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, and only post then. If the connection is down you can login again, go back to the thread and just do a Ctrl-V.
or (I think)
just use the Preview Post button every 5 to 10 minutes. I don't know what the timeout period is.

Squatchit 26-03-2012 07:50 AM

It's frustrating when you've spent a while typing a thoughtful reply only to have it go *poof*, isn't it? :BangHead:

Rin explained what happened.

If you check the 'remember me' box when logging in, I think that works too. That will certainly stop you being thrown out after a period of inactivity (so if you wander off to make a cuppa and the doorbell goes etc., etc., when you return, you should still be logged in). However, if you are typing a long post, it's always best to type it elsewhere (Notepad, Wordpad, Word) in case the site crashes. Then simply copy/paste in when you're done.

Honza 26-03-2012 10:19 AM

If I type an answer that I don't want to lose I always copy it before I submit the reply. That way if anything goes wrong I have it saved. Its happened to me too many times before for me not to be careful.

gpGeminiMN 26-03-2012 03:53 PM

Thanks for your responses. I should remember this by now. I have had this happen on other forums, but I start a reply and don't think about how long it is taking me. Most times they are short and sweet. Sometimes I get a little carried away.

Reverend Keith 26-03-2012 04:11 PM

I've sometimes been able to save myself in that situation by using the browser "back" button to get back to the edit screen (after logging back in) There I can usually just hit the post button successfully or at least cut and paste.

DulcePoetica 27-03-2012 03:31 AM

Also, when this happens, it prompts you to log in and puts a log in field in the center of the screen, if you use that one and not the one in the upper right corner, you won't lose your message.

sesheta 27-03-2012 03:39 AM

Sounds like we've all had this happen enough times to learn to copy our stuff, lol!
Maybe the universe is telling us all to be "short, sweet & to the point" and stop rambling, lol! (not like that will stop us....)

MorningMist 27-03-2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpGeminiMN
I just spent about a half hour typing out a reply and hit reply only to find out that I had been logged off and my whole reply was deleted. What's up with that? If I am using the site, I expect to remain logged in. Please explain what happened.

Yup, I learned that the hard way, so now hit I cntr+c before 'submit reply', just in case it does log me out :)

MM

Akaalis 27-03-2012 06:47 PM

Yeah sometimes I copy my reply or post just it in case it doesn't go through, which happens to me alot of other forums I find.