Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Christianity (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Yoga=evil? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22177)

telepathkid 11-09-2011 08:04 PM

Yoga=evil?

I been doing chanting yoga as well as sahaja yoga for some time now. And i mentioned it at church the other day. Somehow it got round to the pastior and they told me yoga is against the bible. Im dumbfounded by this.

Lovely 11-09-2011 08:21 PM

I don't know how to respond, I never heard of this. Is there any bible
verses on it??? I'm confused :/

Aquatic_Dragon 11-09-2011 08:28 PM

How could it be? That does not make sense, maybe he just doesn't like yoga lol

Silver 11-09-2011 08:43 PM

It sounds like superstitious nonsense.

I went to a regular doc once and he had a book about the 'evils' of Chiropractic services. Un-believable.

Lazarus72 11-09-2011 09:00 PM

I guess if it's remotely spiritual and it's not to do with faith in God then maybe it's a no no as far as Christianity is concerned. Perhaps it's because it's roots are in Eastern philosophy or spirituality ??

blackraven 11-09-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telepathkid
I been doing chanting yoga as well as sahaja yoga for some time now. And i mentioned it at church the other day. Somehow it got round to the pastior and they told me yoga is against the bible. Im dumbfounded by this.

telepathkid - That's probably because "yoga" origins predate Christ and so it's possible a Christian faith does not understand it and lack of understanding is often transformed into defensive statements such as "it's not in the Bible."

Blackraven

Silver 11-09-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackraven
telepathkid - That's probably because "yoga" origins predate Christ and so it's possible a Christian faith does not understand it and lack of understanding is often transformed into defensive statements such as "it's not in the Bible."

Blackraven

Exactly.
^^^^^^^

psychoslice 11-09-2011 09:41 PM

Just about everything is evil in the bible if you take the bible literally, what a horrible place their so called heaven must be, or would be if it was real.

not human 11-09-2011 09:56 PM

Well I guess hell is gonna be full of really flexible people with great breath control ;)

Animus27 11-09-2011 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telepathkid

Well, the Bible doesn't explicitly forbid yoga. But yoga is a foreign (to Christianity) spiritual practice. Even though western yoga has been secularized and cleaned up for most secularist/not-particularly-religious people; it's still based upon principles and trappings that come from Hindu cultures. Bhakti Yoga in particular is one with distantly religious overtones that aren't Christian.