Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Interfaith (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Religion As Language (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8028)

Valus 19-12-2010 06:37 PM

Religion As Language

Religions are spiritual languages. If I were to say, "English is the only language capable of effective communication. Everyone who speaks any other language is led astray and only imagines that they're communicating," my foolishness would be apparent to everyone. Yet some people say, "Christianity is the only true path to God. All who practice other religions are deceived and only think they are in communion with God," and many people will suppose their words contain, or may contain, some sense. Really, there is no difference between the two.

Religions are languages, comprised, like all languages, of symbols, intended to convey objects, states, processes, themes, and impressions not otherwise apparent. Because religious language is highly poetical, the speaker must be granted some amount, great or small, of poetic license. In Paul's First Epistle to the Corinthians, he says "I speak with tongues," and though many believe that speaking in tongues means uttering words inspired by God yet unintelligible to mortals, I myself believe that speaking in tongues means speaking in religious language; with symbols provided by a specific religious tradition. So, when Paul says, "With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord," (14:21) I believe he means that he will speak in the language -- that is, with the symbols -- of a religion which is not the religion of the people to whom he is speaking. And since these people are not bi-religious, -- which is to say, spiritually bi-lingual -- they will not "hear", will not understand, him, "except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying" (14:5). He says that the ability to interpret is essential, otherwise the language will not be understood by those outside the Church.

"If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?" (14:23) This is our present state of affairs. When we haven't the ability to interpret, and to make clear the meaning of religious terminology, then those outside the Church will think that we speak nonsense. Indeed, the confusion aroused by such a misunderstanding has reached the point where many within the Church do not even understand their own symbols. They speak in tongues, but have no one to interpret. So, while they may imagine that they understand, really, the meanings have been lost, and the religion has ceased to be a true language of the spirit for them. While the words may still make sense, to one who can interpret, they nonetheless remain nonsense for the majority of people who speak them.

What is needed now are people who can understand and speak of spiritual matters without recourse to religious language. But, perhaps even more than these, we need people who are capable of speaking and interpreting religious language. The Christian philosopher, Soren Kierkegaard, understood that there is nothing more difficult than teaching something (in this case, Christianity) to one who mistakenly believes that he already understands it. Interpreting religious symbols for one who has no concept of their meaning, or whose "cup is empty", can be difficult enough; but the task of reinterpreting symbols which a person has misunderstood is like walking on a slippery slope, or trying to fill a cup with wine which is already full of water. That your words will be buried in projected preconceptions, and taken in a context not intended by you, at least, in the beginning, is almost inevitable. Nevertheless, it is a task which all who understand the teaching feel called to perform. Moreover, elucidating the proper interpretations of religious language, though difficult, may be the easiest, and perhaps the only, way to reach many of the people who use -- or, rather, misuse -- that language, and remain deaf to all others.

Honza 19-12-2010 10:20 PM

Another good post! I like your kind of thinking.

Valus 20-12-2010 02:05 AM

Thanks, Honza.

You might dig this one, too:

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8009

whiteride 16-01-2011 04:49 PM

Putting one religion above the other is like putting a sports team above the other. In the end we realise we are all children playing silly games.
If none of these religious figures existed who spoke deep words that are preached but not done by the protagonists, we would still have these loud speakers blaring something else. If the pope was not in power in the vatican, he would be in power in the institute of magicians

If the pharisee was not seeking attention at the front of the church, he would be seeking attention at the front of the shopping centre.

The heart of man dictates the heart of man.

Many stand at the gates of peace and shout. Many peaceful people stay away for fear of the noise.

So it was said would happen, so it is today.

Love in all religions rises her head.
But strains to be seen amongst all the other heads of which are chosen as the headline.

What is majority has never been the best of
Yet what is majority always has the biggest sway

so that the wise become fools
the fools become wise

the low become high
the high become low

when you can see through the hypocrisy of it all
you must have some sense of humour
and faith in God
through the great leaps and bounds
that people such as yourself
have made in reading between the lines
rather than lining the pages with ears that ring to the tune of ignorance

but really, truly

they just do not know any better
it is like they are asleep
they will get it some day wake up
just as we have all had our self delusions, obsessions and compulsions, tricks and treats
then fought our way past them
So can others do the same

What about a soldier who prays in the morning and then shoots a man in the evening?

The list never ends of where us humans are lost in our ways.

But religion, science, philosophy are all beasts really. But at the least, those three beasts spent enough time at war with each other that no one of them could conquer the heart of hearts.

We are transcending all these baby toys. Some slowly, some quickly. Yet the quick fight the slow, and the slow fight the quick.

It takes much to draw a line in the middle and say "stop, breathe..."

"Now let us create everything new" without the training wheels.

aser's homie 20-01-2011 06:52 PM

Fine, Religion is language, mastery it's art.
The plain and simple likes it best.
Where are our bargains at though?
Master, Master? Where are you? Come rest as after?
Religion as art, so how do we pick up our shoes to clean them so we can walk better as peeps.
Woah, now. Very different not like very wild, but as centered true.
Amen.

nventr 02-02-2011 12:25 AM

I too believe that there is one God that is being explained in many different tongues.

When I did a mechanical drawing of all the parts, I came up with a mechanism that brings all the religious symbols to life. Every religion fit within the model.

All symbolism was explained (at least to me who is very mechanically minded and can visualize in 3D). Each one is wrapped or entwined within the others. So, I can't see how any anyone can claim to be better than the rest.

Yet, they do.

GOLLY GEE 01-08-2014 03:09 PM

true religion as the language of the pure heart...
based on true discernment of needs and considering the needs of others before ones own..
now mind you some need rebuke but always forgive proper repentance..
hmmm do you need rebuked?
err do i :)?
Luk 17:3 "Watch yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him.
Luk 17:4 Even if he sins against you seven times in a day and comes back to you seven times and says, 'I repent,' you must forgive him."