Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Spiritual Development (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Overcoming Fear (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1671)

Enlightener 02-12-2006 02:25 PM

Overcoming Fear

I think that it is important, in life, to overcome fear, for the benefit of the human race.

If you really want to face your fears you should experience them, though whilst experiencing them you must work up the courage to feel love. Love of the situation and love of the concept; that life is not in doubt, and that everything will be fine.

I used to be afraid to walk alone at night, after doing this on many occasions, and feeling love in those situations I would come out better than before and would not be so scared the next time that thing happened to me.

Enlightener

tiltjlp 02-12-2006 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enlightener
I think that it is important, in life, to overcome fear, for the benefit of the human race.

If you really want to face your fears you should experience them, though whilst experiencing them you must work up the courage to feel love. Love of the situation and love of the concept; that life is not in doubt, and that everything will be fine.

I used to be afraid to walk alone at night, after doing this on many occasions, and feeling love in those situations I would come out better than before and would not be so scared the next time that thing happened to me.

Enlightener

I wonder if you shouldn't be discussing irrational fears here. Granted, there is nothing to fear about walking alone at night, in and of itself. But if a thug appears out of the shadows with a handgun and demands your money, fear is a proper response. And feeling love toward the thug probably won't keep you from losing your money, and maybe worse, if the thug should pistol whip you or shot you. So it seems to me that some fears are rational, and need to be dealt with in a variety of ways.

John

cweiters 02-12-2006 09:09 PM

Great thread enlightener, as a child it seem like I was afraid of almost everything my biggest fear was the dark. Sister and Brother didn't help, they were always locking me in dark places leaving me alone. I agree with you enlightener, confronting ones fears will eventually gain courage. I wonder if some fears are healthy for example the fear of fighting, guns, etc..I am still afraid to swim in the ocean yet I love the beach. People make a whole lot of money off of fear.

I often refer to an out of body experience I had wherein I was standing on a cloud. Fear within me said I can't stand on a cloud even though this is what I was doing. Then the masculin voice who was speaking to me said these words I'll never forget "THERE IS NO ROOM FOR DOUBT" Today I realize fear is the cause doubt and worry. Fear was a comfortable emotion for me at one time. Now I dismiss a lot of my fear wth faith, knowing what ever happens in this life, I am eternal. Is it possible to have healty fears?

Love to all.....
cw

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enlightener

Enlightener

cweiters 02-12-2006 09:29 PM

tiltjlp man you crack me up :D :D :D

Love
cw

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiltjlp
I wonder if you shouldn't be discussing irrational fears here. Granted, there is nothing to fear about walking alone at night, in and of itself. But if a thug appears out of the shadows with a handgun and demands your money, fear is a proper response. And feeling love toward the thug probably won't keep you from losing your money, and maybe worse, if the thug should pistol whip you or shot you. So it seems to me that some fears are rational, and need to be dealt with in a variety of ways.

John

tiltjlp 02-12-2006 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cweiters
tiltjlp man you crack me up :D :D :D

Love
cw

I'm glad you find me somewhat entertaining, but my post was intended as a serious comment.

John

cweiters 02-12-2006 09:48 PM

I know tiltjlp, my laughter was in agreement with you. Its impossible to love a thug while he/she is beating you down and/or taking your money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiltjlp
I'm glad you find me somewhat entertaining, but my post was intended as a serious comment.

John

tiltjlp 02-12-2006 10:57 PM

Yeah, and it might be tough finding enough love in your heart to forgive him right away, too.

John

Lapis 03-12-2006 12:39 AM

Fears

Rational or not fear is fear and we all have to deal with it when it rears its ugly and often times very scary head right infront of us! Here's a couple of quotes that I've always liked a lot.

"Doing what you are afraid of doing would not need doing if you weren't afraid of it...."

"Your creativity ends when you are in fear, and your power ends where your fear begins...."

"Take that which hurts you to heal yourself...."

"To heal you've got to deal and feel...."

"What you are frightened of, what you wish was not there, is exactly what you must go through to get to the next phase of your development....

Good stuff Enlightener, keep on keepin' on as we used to say back in the day. :wink:

Pounamu 03-12-2006 02:15 AM

Different kinds of fear

In my opinion, fear can be classified into two types - Biological fear (fear of coming to harm or not surviving in the physical), and Mental / Feeling Nature Fear (in which you feel threatened by some circumstance that does not relate to physical survival).

I believe that Biological fear is useful to keep us careful and out of harm's way in the physical - but even that can be set aside or over-ridden by the faith that any perceived possibility of harm will be nullified by our spiritual strength, realisation and power of protection.

Enlightener 03-12-2006 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cweiters
Its impossible to love a thug while he/she is beating you down and/or taking your money.

I wouldn't say it is impossible, a true master would realise that there is no need for fear in any situation and would act accordingly. Did Jesus not love his persecutors and killers in their very moment of condemnation.

Sometimes I actually want a thug to come up to me whilst I am walking at night just so I COULD feel love for them. And if they wanted to kill me I would simply lie down and wait to be killed, it wouldn't bother me, for I know that life is not in doubt.

Enlightener