Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Hinduism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   does maya obey any laws? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=130613)

Honza 03-08-2019 01:26 PM

does maya obey any laws?

There is this saying which springs to mind - heaven first, earth will follow.

So perhaps it is also - heaven first, maya will follow.

Meaning that maya obeys the laws of the spiritual world.

Once the spiritual world is sorted out then maya shall obey.

Is this how you see it?

ajay00 03-08-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honza

Is this how you see it?

Maya's duty is to keep you unconscious and unaware, and immersed in habitual reactivity, emotivity and negativity. It's objective is to keep sentient beings under the domination of matter and be unconscious and suffer.

However if one overcomes the gravity pull of unconsciousness to rise to higher levels of consciousness, to that extent Maya or nature becomes servile to oneself.

The Yoga Sutras state that for the enlightened being, Maya as in nature becomes a slave of the enlightened one. Some enlightened masters state euphemistically that nature becomes a loyal friend instead.

Miss Hepburn 03-08-2019 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajay00
Maya's duty is to keep you unconscious and unaware...unconscious and suffer....

Perfect! LOL :biggrin:

winter light 03-08-2019 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajay00
Maya's duty is to keep you unconscious and unaware, and immersed in habitual reactivity, emotivity and negativity. It's objective is to keep sentient beings under the domination of matter and be unconscious and suffer.

Yea what Miss H. said. Great way to describe, very succinct.

Very often it seems that parents are in a role to bear this responsibility. I wonder if there is a connection?

The primary law of Maya to me is that it is always precisely and perfectly suited to the occasion. A flip-side that awaits resolution in awareness.

Thanks for the question Honza. Someone needs to ask if we are ever to consider.

Honza 03-08-2019 10:03 PM

I thought that maya was a neutral power??

Is it in fact malevolent?

Uma 03-08-2019 10:37 PM

Law of Karma

One very important law everything follows in maya is the law of karma which means "action and consequence". We act, Universe responds - like an echo. I study jyotish where this is seen very clearly.

Shivani Devi 04-08-2019 01:34 AM

Namaste.

I was about to say The Law of Karma.....Uma beat me to it.

Maya is a law unto itself and it obeys its own laws...even the law of not obeying any laws....this is what makes it Maya, as it is subject to subjectiveness.

It is actualized in juxtaposition to Brahman, to that which is beyond any laws of cause and effect...in fact, all that can really be said about Brahman, relates to the whole permanence of it. The law relating to that which is NOT Maya, is that it always IS and always remains as such - therefore, laws or rules are unnecessary and superfluous.

As soon as we apply laws to the Absolute, this makes it Maya.

Is Maya malevolent? Yes and no. She can be Kali...she can be Uma/Parvati.
It depends on perception...is Maya blocking the way to Enlightenment or making it easier to realise that the cake is a lie? It all depends on the way she is looked at.

Aum Namah Shivaya

winter light 04-08-2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Namaste.

I was about to say The Law of Karma.....Uma beat me to it.

Maya is a law unto itself and it obeys its own laws...even the law of not obeying any laws....this is what makes it Maya, as it is subject to subjectiveness.

It is actualized in juxtaposition to Brahman, to that which is beyond any laws of cause and effect...in fact, all that can really be said about Brahman, relates to the whole permanence of it. The law relating to that which is NOT Maya, is that it always IS and always remains as such - therefore, laws or rules are unnecessary and superfluous.

As soon as we apply laws to the Absolute, this makes it Maya.

Is Maya malevolent? Yes and no. She can be Kali...she can be Uma/Parvati.
It depends on perception...is Maya blocking the way to Enlightenment or making it easier to realise that the cake is a lie? It all depends on the way she is looked at.

Aum Namah Shivaya

I found this very helpful thanks. Also when the second question arose whether Maya is malevolent, I was out of my depth to properly speculate and so a proper Hindu perspective would be needed and appreciated.

Miss Hepburn 04-08-2019 05:44 PM

Laws in this Illusion or Maya are all around us...Newton, Copernicus esp, Kepler....
found so many laws..using math often.

Now, does spirit trump these laws...
well, surely that was one of the points Jesus was making.

Shivani Devi 05-08-2019 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winter light
I found this very helpful thanks. Also when the second question arose whether Maya is malevolent, I was out of my depth to properly speculate and so a proper Hindu perspective would be needed and appreciated.

You are very welcome and I am glad the Hindu perspective has been appreciated.

I have all of the Dailypedia Apps on my mobile, and I woke up this morning to a quote by Ramana Maharishi:

"If you are firm in your belief in the guidance of God, stick to it and do not concern yourself with what happens around you"- Ramana Maharishi

While Mooji said:

"If we pay too much attention to things, we will keep on seeing things. If you pay more attention to the space in which things come and go, then you will stop seeing things and you will feel just harmony within the space itself"- Mooji.

Yes, Miss H, there are many laws...the Law of Gravity, Thermodynamics, Attraction, Karma etc and for the most part, Material Nature (Prakriti) abides by them...but I have also experienced situations where She does not and doesn't play fair and cheats just because she CAN....this is almost always used as a lesson to teach me that She is not predictable and I don't get to control anything in my life when Her 'better half" (Purusha) has other ideas and plans for me.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Honza 05-08-2019 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Yes, Miss H, there are many laws...the Law of Gravity, Thermodynamics, Attraction, Karma etc and for the most part, Material Nature (Prakriti) abides by them...but I have also experienced situations where She does not and doesn't play fair and cheats just because she CAN....this is almost always used as a lesson to teach me that She is not predictable and I don't get to control anything in my life when Her 'better half" (Purusha) has other ideas and plans for me.

THIS. I have experienced this too. Maya is definitely spiteful and wants things to go her way. She does not like people having a good and spiritual time.

peteyzen 05-08-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

THIS. I have experienced this too. Maya is definitely spiteful and wants things to go her way. She does not like people having a good and spiritual time.

This is life, the universe is set up to wear us away, to destroy our form. when this is combined with the karma we have to endure due to past intent, then even when we are on a spiritual path, indeed often because we are on one, maya or life can seem to be cruel. But it isnt, its just karma doing its thing. By following an avatar we can get some of our negative karma burnt away through our worship, but big karma, that has to be paid. However even then, being under the guidance or following an aavtar will give us the strength to bear this karma.

Jyotir 05-08-2019 02:21 PM

Maya = apparent objective multiplicity veiling a true Oneness.

This is why it is said to be illusion.

It is a law as it is an imposed condition.

But that doesn't mean the condition cannot be transcended by higher principle.
Gravity is a law too, but we fly.

guthrio 11-08-2019 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jyotir

....Jyotir, your words are uplifting, as well! :smile:

Honza 12-08-2019 11:59 AM

Occasionally maya can tell a joke. Something funny happens which makes me laugh. It happened just the other day.

utopiandreamchild 13-08-2019 05:25 AM

Quote:

Is this how you see it?

There are no laws just love and hate. Laws are what humans have come up with to get others to conform to a certain idea. Amen

Honza 13-08-2019 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by utopiandreamchild
There are no laws just love and hate. Laws are what humans have come up with to get others to conform to a certain idea. Amen

Sounds a bit cynical. :rolleyes:

Still_Waters 13-08-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jyotir

The "laws" of Maya can indeed be "transcended by higher principle", as you duly noted. Virtually nothing is impossible when one is attuned to the "higher principle". :smile:

Well said. :thumbsup:

Miss Hepburn 13-08-2019 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still_Waters
The "laws" of Maya can indeed be "transcended by higher principle", as you duly noted.
Virtually nothing is impossible when one is attuned to the "higher principle". :smile:

Well said. :thumbsup:

Yes! :smile:

Ha, Gravity...we fly...but we also dematerialize ....like when Jesus seemed to Ascend to Heaven.
Walking on water was very against the laws here, too! LOL!!!! :tongue: Or that one night in Texas...ah, yes.

Miss Hepburn 13-08-2019 10:43 PM

Quote:

I thought that maya was a neutral power??

Yes.
About as neutral as the floor boards the actors stand on on the stage. :wink:
But, there may always be the one that curses the loose board, I suppose.
Still part of the play!

utopiandreamchild 14-08-2019 03:18 AM

Quote:

Sounds a bit cynical. :rolleyes:

Cynical but true. Think about it. Humans created law so society would conform. There are no laws just love and hate the polar opposites. End of the road. Amen

BigJohn 16-08-2019 12:19 AM

Quote:

Is this how you see it?

To me,
Maya is like a stage play in which the observer believes everything is real
but when the stage play is over, so is the illusion.

For example, many believe we are all gods,
but only look at what we observe to be real
instead of realizing what we thought was real is only an illusion.

In Hinduism, the 'good' guys and the 'bad' guys seem to take a bow
after each final scene just like they did in some of the Star Wars episodes.

Still_Waters 16-08-2019 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn
To me,
Maya is like a stage play in which the observer believes everything is real
but when the stage play is over, so is the illusion.

For example, many believe we are all gods,
but only look at what we observe to be real
instead of realizing what we thought was real is only an illusion.

after each final scene just like they did in some of the Star Wars episodes.

I am really enjoying your posts and you seem quite conversant on a wide range of perspectives, including Hinduism, in what you write.

Quote:

after each final scene just like they did in some of the Star Wars episodes.]

You have nicely summarized the koan-like ending to the Hindu epic, The Mahabharata, where the "good guy" Yudishthira encounters his adversary, the "bad guy" Duryodhana", after the final scene. Most people don't understand that scene (and either did Yudisthira initially). Shakespeare makes exactly the same point in his oft-repeated "all the world's a stage" passage. Well done ! :thumbsup:

Quote:

All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts.

ketzer 16-08-2019 07:18 PM

Quote:

Is this how you see it?

Or perhaps maya is obeying right now, and is showing us how our own spiritual world is sorted out. Which might explain why maya often seems to obey Murphy's law.

BigJohn 16-08-2019 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still_Waters
I am really enjoying your posts and you seem quite conversant on a wide range of perspectives, including Hinduism, in what you write.

You have nicely summarized the koan-like ending to the Hindu epic, The Mahabharata, where the "good guy" Yudishthira encounters his adversary, the "bad guy" Duryodhana", after the final scene. Most people don't understand that scene (and either did Yudisthira initially). Shakespeare makes exactly the same point in his oft-repeated "all the world's a stage" passage. Well done ! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the complement.

Still_Waters 17-08-2019 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn
Thanks for the complement.

The "compliment" (:biggrin:) is well-deserved ! :thumbsup:

Honza 24-10-2019 11:21 AM

Maya has been going crazy in my life recently. It corresponds to me lifting my energy to a higher level. "The world" has been fighting back. Nothing seems to be working out right now. It takes several attempts to achieve a positive result.