Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Judaism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   God did not quite say his name was I AM. (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113266)

Honza 07-05-2017 05:37 PM

God did not quite say his name was I AM.

God, in the sense of Yahveh, did not say his name was I AM. He said his name was Yahveh or the Tetragrammaton. People today still ponder what this name means. But it is clear that it is not simply I AM.

I'm with Judaism on this one. I think I AM is a far too simplistic name for something as articulate and ingenious as God. The term I AM just oversimplifies God and makes Him sound like a narcissist.

7luminaries 07-05-2017 10:05 PM

It is traditionally associated with God's essence, revealed to the people intimately in their hearts...and is associated with the divine attribute of mercy. Often the name is associated with being, sometimes translated as I am that I am...

Typically the term Adonai is and has been used...which implied a personal relationship for all (the lord, who is my lord and your lord...). Interestingly, in the modern era, "God" is sometimes used instead of Adonai, the thought being it's a more personal and less hierarchical term...and I think there is something there.

IMO, it's really all about our relationship to the divine, and how we balance the the love and the awe involved.

Peace & blessings,
7L

jonesboy 17-05-2017 07:49 PM

Or...

I AM that...All things.

Miss Hepburn 18-05-2017 12:05 AM

'I AM'...haha, reminds me of a little boy that just realizes he exists!
Blurts out with Joy ...I Exist!....I'm Alive!...I AM! :hug3:

:icon_cheers:

7luminaries 18-05-2017 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonesboy
Or...

I AM that...All things.

Yes...Each and All, both this and that.
The fractal God :D

Peace & blessings :hug3:
7L

7luminaries 18-05-2017 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn

Why did this remind me of Sally Field's "You like me!...You really, really like me!!!" ???

It's the "blurts out with joy" part, right?
And what's the right answer here? Yes, there is a right answer :D
and YES is always the answer :hug3:

Peace & blessings :hug:
7L

Still_Waters 01-06-2017 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn

Matthew 18:3
International Standard Version
"Then he said, "I tell all of you with certainty, unless you change and become like little children, you will never get into the kingdom of heaven."

Psalms 46:10 --- "Be still and know.....THAT......I AM ......God." :smile:

Perhaps...just perhaps...that little child-like boy, whom you mentioned in your post, is closer to the Reality than the scholars who discuss their profound thoughts and "names for God" which appear to be at least one level removed from the Reality. :smile:

Still_Waters 01-06-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honza
God, in the sense of Yahveh, did not say his name was I AM. He said his name was Yahveh or the Tetragrammaton. People today still ponder what this name means. But it is clear that it is not simply I AM.

I'm with Judaism on this one. I think I AM is a far too simplistic name for something as articulate and ingenious as God. The term I AM just oversimplifies God and makes Him sound like a narcissist.

Tell me more about this "He" who "said his name was Yahveh or the Tetragammaton" and please elaborate on the frequently quoted "I am...THAT...I AM".

I would like to hear more of your thoughts on this subject. While you say that "the term I AM just oversimplifies God", is it possible that you are over-complicating things ?

RedEmbers 01-06-2017 09:51 PM

Often simplicity lies within the complexity of truth... or the compexity lies in the simplicity... yada ya cliche town

'I am' or 'I am that I am'

I think it's perfect.

Still_Waters 02-06-2017 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedEmbers
Often simplicity lies within the complexity of truth... or the compexity lies in the simplicity... yada ya cliche town

'I am' or 'I am that I am'

I think it's perfect.

I too think that it's perfect ! :smile: