Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Beliefs (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What is metaphysics? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=131509)

Patrycia-Rose 30-09-2019 09:24 AM

What is metaphysics?

Would someone be able to explain what metaphysics is? I keep hearing the word and although I've read the dictionary definition, I still don't understand it.

Many thanks.

hazada guess 30-09-2019 09:41 AM

the branch of philosophy that deals with the first principles of things, including abstract concepts such as being, knowing, identity, time, and space.

I looked it up,I don't know weather that helps.

Patrycia-Rose 30-09-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hazada guess
the branch of philosophy that deals with the first principles of things, including abstract concepts such as being, knowing, identity, time, and space.

I looked it up,I don't know weather that helps.

Thank you, it's one of those things that isn't specific enough for me, it all sounds a bit vague, which is probably why I'm struggling to understand it. Thanks for the reply though.

noyan 30-09-2019 04:29 PM

Hi

I would guess that Meta Physics is composed of Meta (beyond) and Physics, thus beyond Physics, or something that Physics as a subject can't explain, i.e: non-physical phenomena (that would be metaphysical phenomena).

Patrycia-Rose 30-09-2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noyan
Hi

I would guess that Meta Physics is composed of Meta (beyond) and Physics, thus beyond Physics, or something that Physics as a subject can't explain, i.e: non-physical phenomena (that would be metaphysical phenomena).

Thank you, that makes a bit more sense.

athribiristan 30-09-2019 08:54 PM

I believe the word is a misnomer. It creates an idea of something separate. It's all physics...there is no other.

lemex 01-10-2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athribiristan
I believe the word is a misnomer. It creates an idea of something separate. It's all physics...there is no other.

In the past this is correct. However there is now what is known as spiritual metaphysics as opposed to just metaphysics. Something that naturally had to evolve (simply/grow) because metaphysics couldn't answer questions metaphysics had. Where metaphysics was once only science based, it has changed in the search. Spiritual metaphysics for instance says everything is connected, which metaphysics (past) does not. Spiritual metaphysics is new age. Is there more then just physics?

People use metaphysics and don't know they do. Metaphysics has always attempted to explain the nature or relationship of reality. For instance, what is consciousness is a metaphysical question. Cause and effect, the mind, free will, loa are metaphysical questions where we think of them only as questions. So does physics explain consciousness or is there more?

In reality metaphysical questions are open questions and haven't been answered for over 2,000 years and the questions still remains open, such as where did the universe come from. We know how it works but not how it came about. Metaphysics in modern times now looks for answers (knowledge) wherever answers are to include and consider spiritual ideas as well as physical ones. Science may exclude free will for instance, but metaphysics does not exclude it. In modern times science may exclude spirit for instance, but metaphysics now does not exclude it. Where would such questions fit as a field of examination?