Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Tarot and Oracle Cards (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Which suit for creativity? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=134286)

Pandora. 14-03-2020 10:37 PM

Which suit for creativity?

Well, you'd think I would have had this sorted by now, having been learning the Tarot for some ... God only knows how many years now. This is what happens when you continue to read about the Tarot and how to read it.

Wands (in my personal understanding) are about what we're passionate about, what drives and motivates us, our careers and projects.

Cups (once again, in my personal understanding) are about our emotions, feelings, relationships and creativity.

So I got thinking (yes, dangerous I know). If I'm passionate about knitting which element represents this activity? I've always thought of the Arts such as painting and drawing to be in the Cups domain. Isn't knitting and crocheting creative pursuits? But if they are something I'm very passionate about and make projects from? Isn't that a Wands Element?

And what about Pentacles? Creating projects which you can wear seems more Pentacles?

What are your thoughts?

FairyCrystal 15-03-2020 09:40 AM

Can you pull that apart? Isn't the creative process both from the heart and from passion? Maybe when you start a new project the passion is higher, and when it half-done or done, the love for what you've created.
I can relate to this when talking about painting, playing drums. Knitting not so much, even though I did like doing it. I used to do it while doing something else; a board-game with others, watching tv, reading a book, talking to others, even on the bus home from school etc.
Then I'd sooner say it's Wands as it's an activity, but not Cups as my attention wasn't even really on it. It was more an automatic thing which intuitively feels like Pentacles?
So maybe when you've gotten good at something, Pentacles come in?

55Degrees 15-03-2020 10:39 AM

I've always viewed Wands as the creativity suit, only due to my reasoning that you need passion to create. If there's no passion, you are just 'making' or thinking something .
Creativity needs passion, drive and confidence in yourself and your project, all Wand energy.

If the creation is something you feel compelled to express for yourself, as a cathartic exercise, then I suppose some water energy is in there too.

If it's something that you need to create for practical purposes (not a a passion project) then I would say there is earth energy included.

So ultimately what I'm trying to say is, creativity, for me, is the suit of Wands, but may be diluted by or mixed with another element (a bit like the Knights).

Pandora. 15-03-2020 09:06 PM

Thanks FairyCrystal and 55Degrees.

Knitting for me isn't a "task" in the sense that I love creating something from wool, it's something I get passionate about because I'm creating something both artistic and practical, which is probably why the dilemma raised its head. Having said that it depends on what I'm knitting and why I'm knitting it.

From that, I'm going to stick with Wands for creativity and the passion that goes into creating whatever project I'm working on, if it's something new and exciting that I can't wait to do because I'm enthused by the creation aspect.

However, if I'm knitting something for someone that I love like a basic jumper, then I think Cups comes in.

If I'm knitting a pair of socks because I need a pair of socks, then Pentacles.

But overall, yeah, Wands energy.

Geez, Tarot can be complicated, hahahaha!

tealily 16-03-2020 02:44 AM

Honest 2c from me is that any of the cards can mean anything :) (but you knew I was going to say that)

FairyCrystal 16-03-2020 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tealily
Honest 2c from me is that any of the cards can mean anything :) (but you knew I was going to say that)

That's what I think too.
And since creativity is a process which involves all 4 suits: getting inspiration and envisioning it (Air), practising & perfecting & doing it (Pents), feeling passionate about it (Wands), loving it (Cups).
There's also cards that can express feeling down about it because it's not working out etc.
You cannot really rip the process apart, and I also don't get why you'd want to.

55Degrees 16-03-2020 10:50 AM

Obviously other factors (cards) come in to the equation. For me, as an overall general outline, Wands speak of active creative energy. The other suits then 'flavour' how that creativity is channelled, or the purpose behind the creative spark.

FairyCrystal 16-03-2020 11:02 AM

I think in the end everyone has to decide for themselves, provided it comes up.
I don't have nor see the need to allocate one suit to it, but if I had to choose I'd go for Cups. Someone with a closed heart can be very motivated, fiery, passionate, active and driven, but I doubt they could create something heartfelt like a beautiful symphony, painting etc. etc.

Good luck deciding, Pandora!

Pandora. 16-03-2020 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FairyCrystal
That's what I think too.
And since creativity is a process which involves all 4 suits: getting inspiration and envisioning it (Air), practising & perfecting & doing it (Pents), feeling passionate about it (Wands), loving it (Cups).
There's also cards that can express feeling down about it because it's not working out etc.
You cannot really rip the process apart, and I also don't get why you'd want to.

The reason I wanted to "rip the process apart" is because I noticed that some authors denote Wands as creativity and other authors denote Cups as creativity, which got me thinking about the process in general and why readers choose Wands or Cups for the creative aspect.

tealily 17-03-2020 12:45 PM

Hey Pandora,

I like to say tarot is like skincare... which is to say, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). Do what works for you and think as many deep thoughts as you want/need to :)