Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Healing (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Do nice people finish last? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23005)

mysterious 27-09-2011 10:06 PM

Do nice people finish last?

Since I feel like I do. How are you supposed to be empathic and sensitive if you hold the door open for everyone and subsequently your own life progression suffers?

psychoslice 27-09-2011 10:09 PM

If you let yourself suffer because of others, then stop letting others make you suffer, if you can't help yourself, you cannot help others.

not human 27-09-2011 10:51 PM

Sorry but that expression is silly.Everybody has their own best interests at heart, that is the nature of the game. Most of the time if you are getting shafted for being 'nice' it is probably that you are operating out of fear and you are being 'nice' hoping to avoid pain. However fear is a huge target and there are plenty of eager archers out there. Genuine caring and empathy has nothing to do with being 'nice'

mysterious 28-09-2011 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by not human
Genuine caring and empathy has nothing to do with being 'nice'

Really - how so?

Distortedsoundz 28-09-2011 12:30 AM

Nice people don't finish last, weak people finish last!

not human 28-09-2011 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysterious
Really - how so?

The way I see it is that 'nice' is not a prevailing aspect of self. I don't see how one could possibly judge themselves as being 'nice' or ' not nice' on a consistant basis as our behaviours and motivators change constantly.
True caring, empathy and compassion are manifestations of the heart and the heart is not subject to behavoural labels. Nice is simply how one would generalize oneself or anothers overall facade

Silver 28-09-2011 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Distortedsoundz
Nice people don't finish last, weak people finish last!

Well, I don't buy that one ~ so-called weak people can be a black-belt ninja or the like. Their learning/training and wisdom takes into consideration those weaknesses and works with them. Like the Karate Kid. Faith also can make weak people strong winners and contenders.
:hug:

Lightspirit 28-09-2011 01:18 AM

Being nice- firstly you must love yourself enough to want the best for yourself as you would care about others. I got that idea from Jesus.
People with a good name and reputation always come out winners in all the areas that really matter. People who are genuine and good natured are usually spoken well of when they are not present.

Distortedsoundz 28-09-2011 01:54 AM

What I meant was weak willed, not so much physically weak. If one is a nice person that repeatedly allows others to trample on them, they can't expect to not finish last. It is important to be assertive to some degree no matter how nice you are or you'll end up being a garbage sponge!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvergirl
Well, I don't buy that one ~ so-called weak people can be a black-belt ninja or the like. Their learning/training and wisdom takes into consideration those weaknesses and works with them. Like the Karate Kid. Faith also can make weak people strong winners and contenders.
:hug:

Edited by SF Staff

Silver 28-09-2011 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Distortedsoundz
What I meant was weak willed, not so much physically weak. If one is a nice person that repeatedly allows others to trample on them, they can't expect to not finish last. It is important to be assertive to some degree no matter how nice you are or you'll end up being a sh-- sponge!

You're right about that ~ I see your point now.