Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Religion (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Is I AM a someone or a something? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=122489)

Honza 06-05-2018 12:46 AM

Is I AM a someone or a something?

To me God is a someone. Above and beyond being a 'thing'. It occurred to me today that I see I AM as being a something. I'm not sure if I AM is a someone which is above and beyond being a thing.

Is I AM a someone or a something? It is described as consciousness, bliss, light etc. But this does not convince me it is a someone. It sounds like describing a thing.

The wonderful thing about Abrahamic religions is that they all see God as a BEING, a WHO, a SOMEONE. The Abrahamic God could not be described as a thing. He is full of personality & character. He is a person.

What do you reckon?

Rah nam 06-05-2018 02:03 AM

At what point to we call something someone?
The concept of god being someone appears to be some kind of "Bilderbuch" concept. (Where "Bilderbuch" relates to children stories)

sky 06-05-2018 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honza
To me God is a someone. Above and beyond being a 'thing'. It occurred to me today that I see I AM as being a something. I'm not sure if I AM is a someone which is above and beyond being a thing.

Is I AM a someone or a something? It is described as consciousness, bliss, light etc. But this does not convince me it is a someone. It sounds like describing a thing.

The wonderful thing about Abrahamic religions is that they all see God as a BEING, a WHO, a SOMEONE. The Abrahamic God could not be described as a thing. He is full of personality & character. He is a person.

What do you reckon?

I am someone who is typing this.

Dan_SF 06-05-2018 05:59 AM

It is no-thing, until it calls itself something.

God is the I AM being, being everything and not a bit less than it.

For example: When God says i am an apple, he becomes an apple, but he becomes not less than he is. Its a bit weird to explain how this works in material way of thinking, but that's how it is. The apple, then in spiritual, becomes the expansion of him.

God himself is not a person, and has no personality. The characteristic way of seeing him as a person describes but his being. God is Pure, Holy, Eternal and Eternally good. This is how he thinks about himself and he does not change his thinking. This is how you should think about your self, if you will ever want to know who God is.

Nothing can separate of God, but only in thinking. When a part of God decide to try this, then you get the opposite of Goodness.
You understand what the opposite of Peace is. And even God said, you may try things out, but at the end, you will return, because i Am the Alpha and the Omega. What begins in me, Ends in me. That's why no war will last, and peace will prevail.

Of course, because God is life, when you separate from God, you get the opposite. You can't separate from God fully, for if you could, nothing would exist at all. And at the end you will get to God anyway.

God is not concerned of what is happening. But you are. He is sure that at the end everything is Perfect. And you ? < With this Question i'm giving you the contrast in thinking, please do not answer it in here.

sky 06-05-2018 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_SF

For example: When God says i am an apple, he becomes an apple, but he becomes not less than he is. Its a bit weird to explain how this works in material way of thinking, but that's how it is. The apple, then in spiritual, becomes the expansion of him.

God himself is not a person, and has no personality. The characteristic way of seeing him as a person describes but his being. God is Pure, Holy, Eternal and Eternally good. This is how he thinks about himself and he does not change his thinking. This is how you should think about your self, if you will ever want to know who God is.

Nothing can separate of God, but only in thinking. When a part of God decide to try this, then you get the opposite of Goodness.
You understand what the opposite of Peace is. And even God said, you may try things out, but at the end, you will return, because i Am the Alpha and the Omega. What begins in me, Ends in me. That's why no war will last, and peace will prevail.

Of course, because God is life, when you separate from God, you get the opposite. You can't separate from God fully, for if you could, nothing would exist at all. And at the end you will get to God anyway.

God is not concerned of what is happening. But you are. He is sure that at the end everything is Perfect. And you ? < With this Question i'm giving you the contrast in thinking, please do not answer it in here.

Isn't a no-thing always something ?

winter light 06-05-2018 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_SF

Very nicely stated. Reminds me of this:
“Oh, Lord, forgive three sins that are due to my human limitations.
Thou art Everywhere, but I worship thee here:
Thou art without form, but I worship thee in these forms;
Thou needest no praise, yet I offer thee these prayers and salutations.
Lord, forgive three sins that are due to my human limitations."
- Ash”
― M.M. Kaye

winter light 06-05-2018 03:23 PM

Quote:

What do you reckon?

I think of the I AM as our sovereign essence. It is the birthright of all Children of God. We are simultanesly at one with and extending the whole of creation as our own individual aspects. In turn I would say it is up to the individual to determine whether this is as a someone or a something or beyond any description.

Honza 07-05-2018 02:59 AM

What I have discovered from learning about Eastern mysticism is that there is a universal I which is omnipresent. It really never occurred to me before that "I" could be omnipresent. I was doing my Western mysticism approach and treating I AM with disdain.

It makes sense to me now that the "I" is very holy.

Honza 07-05-2018 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky123
I am someone who is typing this.

Yes. I guess that is correct. I am someone. More than a "thing".

sky 07-05-2018 05:48 AM

Quote:

Yes. I guess that is correct. I am someone. More than a "thing".

Yes you are ' some ' one..... One of many (some)..... ' I Am'.... Individuality in oneness :smile: