Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Exercise (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Excercise for depression (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=37949)

Greg 27-06-2012 10:15 PM

Excercise for depression

Do you know what kind of exercises would be good when one is suffering heavily from depression? Before you ask I am getting medical treatment for it. When I'm really depressed and have zero energy I find it impossible to do running, or anything cardiovascular, I'll usually walk or maybe do some yoga stretches.

Xan 27-06-2012 10:28 PM

Greg... I've found energy healing methods can often relieve depression quickly, and with consistent use may change the pattern entirely.

The one I recommend most often these days is The Healing Code, which can be learned best from the book by that name.

And here's a thread on the topic:
http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31115

Xan

MYFIGO 28-06-2012 12:18 AM

Actually weight lifting is a good one because you can start with lower reps and then do the suggested rest in between sets. It even worked with me as I have exercise induced asthma.

A short warm up is good with your stretches and/or yoga. Then I would suggest starting at 40% of what you think you can do. Once you can do the 40% level too easily, add a second set and increase the weight slightly. 10 sets of each exercise with a rest of 30 seconds before moving on to the next exercise is a good goal. When you increase the weight, you won't be able to do the full ten. There is no pressure to get to the next level. Let your body tell you when you are ready to move on. You will gain a lot of strength by doing each rep slowly and with correct form, including the release. A great workout plan is upper body three days a week with the lower body in between.

Any exercise that will "break a sweat" seems to have an impressive effect on depression and will even produce a pleasant feeling.

I know from experience. Good luck.

Silver 28-06-2012 01:55 AM

Hi Greg. For indoor exercise, I dance, I have a mini-trampoline, and plan on starting lifting free weights. Outdoors, just walk, bike-riding, and I'd rollerblading - if they weren't mean to me.

Sybilline 28-06-2012 02:01 AM

Hi Greg, it's silly but crying works wonders for me. Once I have cleared my mind through that then I do stuff that makes me happy, sometimes I go out and just reconnect with nature.

If you have dogs they are absolutely perfect companions, I don't know if they know you're sad or not but the fact that they seem so unaffected and will just shower you with nothing but love ---- no advice, no pity, nothing ---- sometimes that's all I need.

Zero 28-06-2012 08:37 AM

I highly recommend working out first thing. I can trick myself into doing more when I'm not properly awake :tongue: If I wait til later in the day I'll convince myself I can't do it for whatever reason.

Also, I have much more energy when I'm excercising regularly, the first few times really are the hardest, especially if you are running or lifting weights, you'll ache and not want to keep going, but lighter reps help with that! Honestly, breaks longer than a few days are bad for me, my energy drops and I start feeling depressed. Just make sure you are eating enough to compensate for the extra energy expended!

I hate cardio, I'm all for weight lifting. Heavy weights at lowish reps, easy! :D

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki
http://stronglifts.com/

Pick something that allows you to set goals, it's a huge boost when you reach them. I just started with heavy (for me) weights, now even when I go up 5lbs I feel awesome.

Henri77 29-06-2012 07:55 PM

Yet there's a lot to be said for (fast) walking in nature & fresh air.
Especially combined with a healing meditation-intent.

When exercise itself doesn't seem feasable, suitable.

sesheta 01-07-2012 07:03 PM

I think any kind of exercise helps - but the more it gets your heart pumping, etc the better - exercise releases endorphins - the "feel-good" chemical our body produces when we get a good work-out...
That being said...off I go to do a work out :D

Racer X 02-07-2012 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg
Do you know what kind of exercises would be good when one is suffering heavily from depression? Before you ask I am getting medical treatment for it. When I'm really depressed and have zero energy I find it impossible to do running, or anything cardiovascular, I'll usually walk or maybe do some yoga stretches.

It would be wise to exer-cise the "thoughts" which are binding you to depression.

Spend the next year dedicated to a daily practice of that and just walk and reflect while practicing what is thought in "The Secret Of Letting Go by Guy Finley" and "The Mystic Path To Cosmic Power by Vernon Howard". If any really dark times hit ...... that is great! For in those times one can break THROUGH if the desire to heal is greater then the desire to remain in depression.

By the way..... I waked the walk and depression has not returned in 10 years. If I could beat that demon.... so can you.

Carcadone 04-07-2012 11:06 AM

For my depression(s) I have previously found two methods that have helped. One is a breathing exercise, any meditating method such as breathing through bones meditation or 100 points meditation, or just focusing on your breathing...yoga. the thing about breathing methods is that for me, after a while of focusing on breathing emotions started to build up and I would cry a lot. But I think that is sort of washing away the depression little by little by unraveling the build up emotions.

Actual exercice, I found regular sweating up helpful. But that was helpful for when the depression wasn't so intense. I went jogging for 30 minutes every day, to the woods. I think it was partly a grounding method. I later found out that my depression was a whirlpool of spirits attachments, other peoples emotions and all that. I had a device that recorded the heart rate, distance and speed and would give a goal to achieve. Achieving something can help.