Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Buddhism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Find the cause of suffering (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=120946)

Gem 24-02-2018 02:12 AM

Find the cause of suffering

The basis of Gotama's teachings is to acknowledge ones own suffering, find the cause, and thus end suffering.

Most of us suffer and find cause in external things that hurt us. This means suffering is linked to sensation. The question is, does sensation cause suffering, or is it the way we relate to sensation that is cause?

In the meditation, mindfulness, we are aware of ourselves, body, mind, emotion, just as they are as they happen to arise. The obstacle to this is 'distraction'. We can drift off into autopilot and become unconscious of what is actually happening, and instead, live in an imaginary world created in reaction to the actual real lived experience.

In sitting practice we soon see we are aware of our sensation and thought, and then we drift away into imaginary pasts, futures and fantasies. It's not bad or incorrect to do this. The meditation practice just enables a conscious recognition of it. Now you know, 'so this is what I do'.

From that preliminary, the the same process of being aware, noticing and discovering continues, revealing the truth about ourselves. Through this process of 'sati' we soon come to learn about how we relate to sensation - including physical, emotional and psychological - and come to realise how we cause our own suffering by relating to sensation in a somewhat delusional way.

Once this cause is identified, each new arising of suffering is recognised as 'something I do', rather than 'something that happens to me'... and we are thereby led to understand the way to bring suffering to an end.

Shaunc 24-02-2018 02:51 AM

Desire (and aversion) is the cause of suffering. To eliminate suffering, we must first eliminate desire.

ocean breeze 24-02-2018 03:47 AM

The desire to eliminate desire?

happy soul 24-02-2018 04:06 AM

Another very wise post by you Gem. I just hope I'm not the only one who recognizes the wisdom you share. We all have our own capacity for discernment, although it may be that you and I simply think in a similar way. But I do feel that you bring a uniquely insightful teaching to the table.

As far as the cause of suffering goes, perhaps the whole process of 'becoming' - of ever seeking a future goal or state, and denying the divine reality that exists NOW.

I guess it's somewhat of a paradox. We grow in time, yet reality is beyond time. Or maybe we grow in the awareness and understanding of ourselves and of divine truth in time, so in time we come to know the timeless.

sky 24-02-2018 06:22 AM

From my experiences I find it's attachment to desire that causes suffering not desire alone. If you try to eliminate desire then you are desiring not to desire... Attachments are transient so we will always suffer loss which causes suffering, The only constant thing in our lives is change, we desire to control our lives and make them permanently fixed and when we realize it's impossible to go against the natural force of the universe then it causes suffering.
Desire all you want, but without the attachment :smile:

Easier said than done though, sometimes....

sky 24-02-2018 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaunc
Desire (and aversion) is the cause of suffering. To eliminate suffering, we must first eliminate desire.

I think it's attachment to desire Shaunc, not desire. You cannot survive without desires, but you can rise above the attachment to the desires.

H:O:R:A:C:E 24-02-2018 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky123
I think it's attachment to desire Shaunc, not desire. You cannot survive without desires, but you can rise above the attachment to the desires.

i figure it would be attachment to an unrealized desire that would cause the pain.
i sense suffering to be a painful stimuli that doesn't get resolution...
prolonged pain is what i believe suffering to be. it's like having an
untreated wound... the aching just continues.

ocean breeze 24-02-2018 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky123

But isn't desire attachment? If you desire something, isn't there some level of attachment to it or to the results? Doesn't desire arise from attachment?

I'm very attached to my desires knowing suffering can happen as a result. Perhaps a cause for suffering is the fear of it.

sky 24-02-2018 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocean breeze
But isn't desire attachment? If you desire something, isn't there some level of attachment to it or to the results? Doesn't desire arise from attachment?

I'm very attached to my desires knowing suffering can happen as a result. Perhaps a cause for suffering is the fear of it.

Desires are like wishes but attachment to the desires are when your wishes don't come true and cause you suffering/unsatisfaction.

We all have desires it's a normal part of life, desire motivates people, but there are positive/negative desires also. Unrealistic desires cause misery/suffering and more. I think and have found that if my desires/wishes don't become fulfilled then it's best to accept this and move on without attachment. Clinging to the ' why not ' causes more suffering.

Rain95 25-02-2018 06:44 AM

I think in Buddhism suffering is wanting or expecting things to be different than they are. It seems to be similar to some Christianity teachings, to let go and surrender to God's will, accept things as they are or in Buddhism, let go of self or thoughts about what now should be. Accept it in silence and emptiness. Just be present in each moment without desire or effort or conflict.

Inner and outer peace is the goal of many religions.