Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Science & Spirituality (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   'What we call reality is only a state of mind' - Bernard D'Espagnat (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=76126)

Pleroma 16-10-2014 08:20 AM

'What we call reality is only a state of mind' - Bernard D'Espagnat

Bernard D'Espagnat, physicist and philosopher of science who has worked on Quantum theory and reality concludes that facts established from experiments is against scientific realism.

"The doctrine that the world is made up of objects whose existence is independent of human consciousness turns out to be in conflict with quantum mechanics and with facts established by experiment."

- Bernard D'Espagnat

He is one of those fringe physicists who thinks that reality is veiled and the only scientist who leaves room for spirituality. Science might not prove the spiritual ream yet but it certainly encourages one to take up spirituality and lead a spiritual life.

"The message would be that the purpose of life is not to eat and drink, watch television and so on. Consuming is not the aim of life. Earning as much money as one can is not the real purpose of life. There is a superior entity, a divinity, le divin as we say in French that is worth thinking about, as are our feelings of wholeness, respect and love, if we can. A society in which these feelings are widespread would be more reasonable than the society the West presently lives in."

- Bernard D'Espagnat

Bernard D'Espagnat is no crackpot for sure, his reasoning is rock solid.

KevinO 16-10-2014 03:49 PM

Thank you for posting!

Miss Hepburn 17-10-2014 03:02 PM

No, he is no crackpot!
:smile:

Morpheus 17-10-2014 07:30 PM

Amen! He states what ought to be apparent to all.

Maguru 23-10-2014 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pleroma
Bernard D'Espagnat, physicist and philosopher of science who has worked on Quantum theory and reality concludes that facts established from experiments is against scientific realism.

"The doctrine that the world is made up of objects whose existence is independent of human consciousness turns out to be in conflict with quantum mechanics and with facts established by experiment."

- Bernard D'Espagnat

He is one of those fringe physicists who thinks that reality is veiled and the only scientist who leaves room for spirituality. Science might not prove the spiritual ream yet but it certainly encourages one to take up spirituality and lead a spiritual life.

"The message would be that the purpose of life is not to eat and drink, watch television and so on. Consuming is not the aim of life. Earning as much money as one can is not the real purpose of life. There is a superior entity, a divinity, le divin as we say in French that is worth thinking about, as are our feelings of wholeness, respect and love, if we can. A society in which these feelings are widespread would be more reasonable than the society the West presently lives in."

- Bernard D'Espagnat

Bernard D'Espagnat is no crackpot for sure, his reasoning is rock solid.

Isn't he just eating his own words here? Is his reality a state of mind?

Raven Poet 24-10-2014 04:20 PM

Perhaps ... who knows with all the potential for debate, and actual debate, going on.

If it is "just" a state of mind, then it is a very comfortable one for me at this time; to know there is a "le devin" or supreme creative being/force runnin' things in the universe.

And to know I am genetically and energetically connected to all things is quite comforting, too.

So I'm good with this state of mind!

Maguru 25-10-2014 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven Poet
Perhaps ... who knows with all the potential for debate, and actual debate, going on.

If it is "just" a state of mind, then it is a very comfortable one for me at this time; to know there is a "le devin" or supreme creative being/force runnin' things in the universe.

And to know I am genetically and energetically connected to all things is quite comforting, too.

So I'm good with this state of mind!

The Op was 'reality is only a state of mind' and I absolutely agree with that. I don't think there can be any exceptions so it stands to reason that each and every one of us live a unique reality. Anything outside of the five senses is down to interpretaion and most definately is in the mind. Quite amazing.

However, if I am to believe there is a supreme creative being running the universe, I would not be happy. If I had the power there would not be the human suffering we experience as a whole today. I don't understand why you find it comforting?

Gem 25-10-2014 02:49 AM

I don't think one should be clear about philosophy of science, because it's not even theoretical physics let alone applied science... and to understand that SF attracts persons of a particular ilk who would be supportive of this sort of thing, but I wouldn't suppose that this little community is an adequately diverse target group.

It's really quite philosophical, and not particularly scientific, in it's conclusions.

Pleroma 26-10-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gem
It's really quite philosophical, and not particularly scientific, in it's conclusions.

I strongly urge you to take back your statement. Bernard's interpretation of QM is the most reasonable interpretation and all other objective interpretations of QM leads us to irreconcilable paradoxes. If you are not taking his statements seriously then you are going against facts established from experiments.

Pleroma 26-10-2014 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maguru
Isn't he just eating his own words here? Is his reality a state of mind?

Yes this reality including our bodies, brain and everything that you are watching is a state of mind means it doesn't exist independent of us. It appears as real because we are in an inter-subjective agreement.