Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Beliefs (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Why do people "need" to be remembered? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=116678)

LoneFlower 03-09-2017 07:54 PM

Why do people "need" to be remembered?

Why do some people feel like they NEED to be remembered? That to be forgotten is a really bad, scary sort of thing. Almost like it's a personal threat upon them.
Why is it important, though?
It is purely 'an ego thing'?

What do you think about this?

Badcopyinc 03-09-2017 08:15 PM

Most needs and desires are rooted in fear.

They haven't found out who they are yet.
Once they find out who the "I" is they will no longer desire anything.
Because they no longer live with fear.

iamthat 03-09-2017 08:20 PM

Perhaps because they believe that physical death will be the end of everything, and the ego fears annihilation. Such people want to somehow live on, whether it be through having a building named after them or through the memories of other people, or any other way of showing that they were once on this planet. Perhaps this accounts for the tyranny of Facebook.

None of these things are important. All things must pass. And even though there are various historical figures we are aware of 1,000 years or 2,000 years after their death, what difference does that make to them? It is all ego and illusion.

And the ego or personal identity is another illusion. Freedom comes when the small personal ego is annihilated, and we can stop trying to become someone and simply be what we are. There will come a time when no-one will remember that I was ever here, and that is fine. Consciousness remains.

Peace.

Raziel 03-09-2017 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneFlower
Why do some people feel like they NEED to be remembered? That to be forgotten is a really bad, scary sort of thing. Almost like it's a personal threat upon them.

I always presume that it provides evidence that their life mattered - even though they won't know, someone will say that they mattered.

If you spend all of your life devoted to something it needs to have mattered otherwise it is a waste of time (in theory).

Often they don't have children so they are passing on something other than genetics.

That's what I always took away from it anyway.

naturesflow 04-09-2017 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneFlower

Non existence scares some people so to be remembered probably supports to keep something of yourself alive. Which I imagine would be comforting to ones existence. As a co creative source as part of creation we leave our mark on the world in many ways. It's just another way I guess.

Native spirit 04-09-2017 03:43 AM

some people are remembered when they pass.for the good things they did in life.
some will be remembered by others for various things like being themselves not caring what others thought of them.everyone is different .some people do want to be remembered others couldnt care either way.

Namaste

sakredkow 04-09-2017 05:05 AM

it is purely an ego thing. Coupled with avidya ignorance. To think the Self is flesh and has a place in a world where everything is merely a reflection of reality but not reality itself is why the mind clings to some hallucinatory ideas such as wanting to be remembered. It is pratistha which is Sanskrit for "fame" but it has no intrinsic value. Real fame is to end one's perpetual incarceration on the wheel of repeated birth and death, or samsara.

LiberatedLotus 04-09-2017 06:46 AM

Many reasons.

Human Condition: the desire for love,
acknowledgment, power, etc. Validity
of worth & purpose. Another form of
"survival" & misinterpretations of
immortality.

Social Conditioning: Fame & Fortune.
Continual flooding of data & imagery that
perpetuates this "need"/illusion.

Principles: if not driven by ego, the
drive to shift the world, if not the
Universe: based on ideals, philosophies,
discoveries, inventions, etc.

Remembrance, for the most part
& always rooted in identification
of self will always be ego driven.

This is why the noble pioneers &
revolutionaries never lived on the
premise of self, but the Universe in
it's totality. Remembrance was a
mere byproduct & not the motivation
for why they lived.

LiberatedLotus 04-09-2017 06:51 AM

The Teslas of the Universe lived
on the premise of what I can do
for the Universe, not what the Universe
can do for me.

How could I, in the form of body,
heart, mind, and soul can contribute
to the wellbeing of the Universe.

Not, how can one continue my
legacy, roots, name, dna, etc.
How can I achieve more followers,
likes etc. Mere illusions & an egoic
driven agenda.

Lorelyen 04-09-2017 07:17 PM

I suppose its inherently human and desirable to think you've made an impression on others particularly those whom you list as real friends (not non-hostiles to whom you say hello and small talk, and clicks on Faceache).

Perhaps it crosses some people's minds to hope that their loss will be felt when their time's up. Just seems a human trait to me. People impinge on our firmaments, form bonds with each other. There are people in my life who won't be forgotten and I hope they'd be pleased that I'd remember them.