Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Exercise (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Getting Stronger (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=121582)

Gem 27-03-2018 08:29 AM

Getting Stronger
 
If there is anyone here that trains for strength, gimme a 'hoy'

There could be no one, and if that's the case, it just shows how rare it is. I mean yoga has its own forum section, so you can bet there's a few bendies around.

But does anyone here lift heavy things? 'Cus that is precisely what I do.

OEN34 27-03-2018 11:25 AM

I used to, mate, but not anymore. I used to powerlift in the main by focusing on the three main lifts, but I realised I was doing it primarily for the wrong reasons (lack of self worth etc), so I stopped as there's no ceiling to it (for me); I was never 'satisfied'.

I have been contemplating, ever so slightly, getting back into it.

rainbow.sprinkles 27-03-2018 04:59 PM

*raises hand*

Gem 28-03-2018 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OEN34
I used to, mate, but not anymore. I used to powerlift in the main by focusing on the three main lifts, but I realised I was doing it primarily for the wrong reasons (lack of self worth etc), so I stopped as there's no ceiling to it (for me); I was never 'satisfied'.

I have been contemplating, ever so slightly, getting back into it.


I have heard many power-lifters tell their story about how their self esteem issues got them into lifting. In my case, I started out of emotional/psychological/body-image issues, and I was completely weak when I started. I couldn't squat or dead at all, or do 10 reps with the bar on bench. I'm pretty strong now so I squat 100kilo, dead 135 and my bench must be up around 80-85 somewhere, which is also my body weight. Not 'big numbers', but it's a long way from where I started from, and being over 50yo, it's pretty good for a newbie.

I want to compete in powerlifting in a couple of years time.

Just working to get another kilo on the bar, man.

Gem 28-03-2018 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbow.sprinkles
*raises hand*


Hi, Rainbow. How's training? Have you changed your program from the 5X5 or anything?

Lucky 1 28-03-2018 03:04 AM

Me too.....I was a competitive powerlifter in my late teens till about 26 years old....

Now I'm an old guy lifter who still does it because I love it!

ocean breeze 28-03-2018 07:52 AM

I do some weight training geared toward strengthening my body. I do more body weight training though.

My training is more for developing explosive speed, power, and endurance. My legs by far get the most training.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gem
I have heard many power-lifters tell their story about how their self esteem issues got them into lifting. In my case, I started out of emotional/psychological/body-image issues, and I was completely weak when I started. I couldn't squat or dead at all, or do 10 reps with the bar on bench. I'm pretty strong now so I squat 100kilo, dead 135 and my bench must be up around 80-85 somewhere, which is also my body weight. Not 'big numbers', but it's a long way from where I started from, and being over 50yo, it's pretty good for a newbie.

I want to compete in powerlifting in a couple of years time.

Just working to get another kilo on the bar, man.


Congrats on your accomplishments. :smile:

You're getting strong now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnqZl_blT7E

OEN34 28-03-2018 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gem
I have heard many power-lifters tell their story about how their self esteem issues got them into lifting. In my case, I started out of emotional/psychological/body-image issues, and I was completely weak when I started. I couldn't squat or dead at all, or do 10 reps with the bar on bench. I'm pretty strong now so I squat 100kilo, dead 135 and my bench must be up around 80-85 somewhere, which is also my body weight. Not 'big numbers', but it's a long way from where I started from, and being over 50yo, it's pretty good for a newbie.

I want to compete in powerlifting in a couple of years time.

Just working to get another kilo on the bar, man.


Yeah, it definitely has some truth to it. Most of the people in the gym were the lowest self-esteemed people I'd ever met. I started for similar reasons to you; emotional and psychological issues, but had a very stop-start relationship with it.

I had an addictive personality back then so everything revolved around training, and I'd considered myself very strong at my prime, but the injuries weren't fun.

Well done to you for your progression :) And yeah, slowly adding a kilo here and there soon adds up. Slow and steady wins the race.

Gem 28-03-2018 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OEN34
Yeah, it definitely has some truth to it. Most of the people in the gym were the lowest self-esteemed people I'd ever met. I started for similar reasons to you; emotional and psychological issues, but had a very stop-start relationship with it.

I had an addictive personality back then so everything revolved around training, and I'd considered myself very strong at my prime, but the injuries weren't fun.

Well done to you for your progression :) And yeah, slowly adding a kilo here and there soon adds up. Slow and steady wins the race.


True, the injury side isn't fun, but it is part of the game, in just about any sport, so I manage intensity and fatigue to mitigate the risk, but I'm pretty much constantly working around some small thing that hurts. I don't go for fast progress in weight, though. I go for sustainability and long term results. I'm also similar to the way you were in that my life revolves around the barbell...

Gem 28-03-2018 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocean breeze
I do some weight training geared toward strengthening my body. I do more body weight training though.

My training is more for developing explosive speed, power, and endurance. My legs by far get the most training.


I appreciate that. I only lift heavy things, so there's no particular power or endurance involved, just raw lifting power. But this is just because I haven't conditioned the body to do explosive lifts. I do work on my mobility for the overhead barbell squat, though, and after I get pretty nimble at that, I'd like to learn the snatch and clean and jerk (olympic lifts)... Then I'll get some power and speed action to go along with strength. It just takes a while to train the body into the necessary postures.



Quote:

Congrats on your accomplishments. :smile:

You're getting strong now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnqZl_blT7E

Cheers


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums